I am a researcher at Inria Sophia-Antipolis in the GraphDeco research group. I did my PhD at Inria Rhône-Alpes, my advisers were Joëlle Thollot and François X. Sillion. During my PhD I also worked as an intern at Adobe's Advanced Technology Labs under the supervision of David Salesin, and at MIT CSAIL under the supervision of Frédo Durand and Sylvain Paris. I did my postdoc at UC Berkeley, working with Maneesh Agrawala and Ravi Ramamoorthi.
I do research on image creation and manipulation, with a focus on drawings and photographs. Most notably I did some work on image stylization, image editing and relighting, vector graphics and sketch-based modeling. I received one of the three Eurographics 2011 PhD award for my research on expressive image manipulations and a young researcher award from the French National Research Agency (ANR) for my work on computer-assisted drawing.
NewsI am looking for master-level interns, PhD students and postdoc candidates to work on drawing interpretation for 3D design. Don't hesitate to contact me! See some of our job offers here.
List of publications
Current and former students
- Nicolas Rosset on designing aerodynamic shapes, co-supervised with Guillaume Cordonnier. Started in October 2021.
- Emilie Yu on 3D sketching in VR. Started in October 2020.
- Felix Hähnlein on reconstructing and generating design sketches. Started in September 2019.
- David Jourdan on designing of deformable structures, co-supervised with Melina Skouras. Started in October 2018.
- Valentin Deschaintre on material aquisition, co-supervised with George Drettakis. Graduated in November 2019, now at Imperial College London. Received the GDR IG-RV thesis award.
- Johanna Delanoy on drawing interpretation and video stylization. Graduated in June 2019, now at Universidad de Zaragoza.
- Jean-Dominique Favreau on geometric analysis of line drawings, co-supervised with Florent Lafarge. Graduated in March 2018, now at Ekinnox. Received the GDR IG-RV thesis award (accessit).
- Emmanuel Iarussi on computer assisted drawing. Graduated in September 2015, now at CONICET.
- Sylvain Duchêne on multiview image relighting, co-supervised with George Drettakis. Graduated in April 2015, now at b<>com.
- Pierre-Yves Laffont on multiview intrinsic images, co-supervised with George Drettakis. Graduated in October 2012. Now CEO of Lemnis Technologies.
Current and former postdocs
- Changjian Li (Starting Researcher).
- Tibor Stanko.
- Yulia Gryaditskaya, now at University of Surrey.
- Fumio Okura, with George Drettakis. Now at Osaka University.
- Christian Richardt, with George Drettakis. Now at University of Bath.
- Jorge Lopez-Moreno, with George Drettakis. Now at Universidad Rey Juan Carlos.
You can try our Photoshop watercolor filter on your own pictures! Our work on watercolor rendering has been initiated by a collaboration with the french cartoon studio Broceliande. As a result, a Mental Ray plug-in called Graphanim has been developped by David Lanier. We have presented several aspects of our research on watercolor rendering at Imagina 2008, which led to an article by Noriko Kurachi in the Japanese magazines CGWORLD and FDI. Noriko Kurachi also wrote an article on the research done in the Artis research team, in the Eizoshimbun journal.
Noriko Kurachi also wrote an article on our research on intrinsic images for the FDI journal.
My fake paper on virtual glasses has been accepted to the 2008 April Fool's day conference! More details here.
Some old notes on mathematical morphology.
Some notes on writing.
Other old stuff here...