I am a researcher at Inria Sophia-Antipolis in the GraphDeco research group. I did my PhD at Inria Rhône-Alpes, my advisers were Joëlle Thollot and François X. Sillion. During my PhD I also worked as an intern at Adobe's Advanced Technology Labs under the supervision of David Salesin, and at MIT CSAIL under the supervision of Frédo Durand and Sylvain Paris. I did my postdoc at UC Berkeley, working with Maneesh Agrawala and Ravi Ramamoorthi.
I do research on image creation and manipulation, with a focus on drawings and photographs. Most notably I did some work on image stylization, image editing and relighting, vector graphics and sketch-based modeling. I received one of the three Eurographics 2011 PhD award for my research on expressive image manipulations and a young researcher award from the French National Research Agency (ANR) for my work on computer-assisted drawing.
I led the ANR DRAO project on novel algorithms and user interfaces for computer-assisted drawing (2012-2015) and I coordinated the CRISP associate team with UC Berkeley (2010-2016).
I received an ERC Starting Grant to work on drawing interpretation for 3D design.
NewsI am looking for master-level interns, PhD students and postdoc candidates to work on drawing interpretation for 3D design. Don't hesitate to contact me! See some of our job offers here.
List of publications
Current and former students
- Capucine Nghiem on multi-modal design sketching, co-supervised with Theophanis Tsandilas. Started in October 2021.
- Nicolas Rosset on designing aerodynamic shapes, co-supervised with Guillaume Cordonnier. Started in October 2021.
- Emilie Yu on 3D sketching in VR. Started in October 2020.
- Felix Hähnlein on reconstructing and generating design sketches. Graduated in November 2022, now postdoc at University of Washington.
- David Jourdan on designing of deformable structures, co-supervised with Melina Skouras. Graduated in March 2022, now postdoc at Inria Nancy.
- Valentin Deschaintre on material aquisition, co-supervised with George Drettakis. Graduated in November 2019, now at Adobe Research London. Received the GDR IG-RV thesis award.
- Johanna Delanoy on drawing interpretation and video stylization. Graduated in June 2019, now Associate Professor at INSA Lyon.
- Jean-Dominique Favreau on geometric analysis of line drawings, co-supervised with Florent Lafarge. Graduated in March 2018, now at Ekinnox. Received the GDR IG-RV thesis award (accessit).
- Emmanuel Iarussi on computer assisted drawing. Graduated in September 2015, now Assistant Professor at Universidad Torcuato Di Tella (Argentina).
- Sylvain Duchêne on multiview image relighting, co-supervised with George Drettakis. Graduated in April 2015, now CTO of CheckAndVisit.
- Pierre-Yves Laffont on multiview intrinsic images, co-supervised with George Drettakis. Graduated in October 2012. Now at Facebook Reality Labs.
Current and former postdocs
- Changjian Li (Starting Researcher), now at University of Edinburgh.
- Tibor Stanko.
- Yulia Gryaditskaya. Now at University of Surrey.
- Fumio Okura, with George Drettakis. Now at Osaka University.
- Christian Richardt, with George Drettakis. Now at Reality Labs Research.
- Jorge Lopez-Moreno, with George Drettakis. Now at Universidad Rey Juan Carlos.
Service to the community
- Co-chair for State-of-The-Art-Reports at Eurographics 2023.
- Program co-chair for EGSR 2021.
- Local organizer for French Computer Graphics Conference 2021.
- Co-chair for Tutorials at Eurographics 2017.
- Associate editor for Computer Graphics Forum since 2021.
- Program Committee Member for ACM SIGGRAPH (2014, 2015, 2018, 2019) and Eurographics (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019).
Emmanuel Iarussi wrote a short tutorial on linear least squares, see his slides and source code. These notes may help understand our implementation of BendFields.
You can try our Photoshop watercolor filter on your own pictures! Our work on watercolor rendering has been initiated by a collaboration with the french cartoon studio Broceliande. As a result, a Mental Ray plug-in called Graphanim has been developped by David Lanier. We have presented several aspects of our research on watercolor rendering at Imagina 2008, which led to an article by Noriko Kurachi in the Japanese magazines CGWORLD and FDI. Noriko Kurachi also wrote an article on the research done in the Artis research team, in the Eizoshimbun journal.
Noriko Kurachi also wrote an article on our research on intrinsic images for the FDI journal.
My fake paper on virtual glasses has been accepted to the 2008 April Fool's day conference! More details here.
Some old notes on mathematical morphology.
Some notes on writing.
Other old stuff here...