Research Director in Informatics and Computer Science at Inria and Leader of the joint Wimmics team at the Sophia-Antipolis Research Center (UCA, Inria, CNRS, I3S).
His PhD in 2002 pioneered the joint use of distributed artificial intelligence (AI) and semantic Web to manage a variety of data sources and users above a Web architecture.
Then, as a research project leader at Carnegie Mellon University (USA), he proposed an AI method to enforce privacy preferences in querying and reasoning about personal data.
In 2004, recruited as a researcher at Inria, he started to study models and algorithms to integrate social media and knowledge based AI systems on the Web and support humans in the loop.
His professional interests include: Web, Semantic Web, Social Web, Ontologies, Knowledge Engineering and Modelling, Mobility, Privacy, Context-Awareness, Semantic Social Network / Semantic Analysis of Social Network, Intraweb, Distributed Artificial Intelligence.
In 2012 he became the representative of Inria at the World-Wide Web Consortium (W3C) where he had already participated in several standardization groups since 2004.
The same year he founded Wimmics, a joint research team of 50 persons (UCA, Inria, CNRS, I3S) including 10 full time researchers and professors on bridging social and formal semantics on the Web with AI methods.
In 2014, Fabien became a research director (DR). Fabien successfully supervised several PhD, chaired major international conferences (e.g. WWW 2012 and 2018, ESWC 2015, ISWC 2019) and authored many journal, conference and workshop papers, and several books and book chapters.
In 2015 Fabien initiated a series of bilingual MOOCs on the national FUN platform on semantic Web and linked data.
In 2017 Fabien established and became the director of the joint research laboratory QWANT-Inria and he also became responsible for the research convention he had proposed between the Ministry of Culture and Inria.
In 2018 Fabien became Vice-head of research for Inria Sophia Antipolis - Méditerranée.
Chair - general, program, steering, ...
Press book - newspapers, magazines, TV, Radio,...
- La Croix 12 March 2019, "Le Web, 30 anset encoreen mutation"
- Interview France Television, Meta-Media "Web Sémantique, Fabien Gandon (INRIA) @ Futur en Seine 2014"
- Le Monde Informatique, "Lyon : conférence WWW 2012 du W3C"20/04/2012
- Libération, "Wikipédia va ménager les robots", 21/11/2012
- L'Usine Nouvelle, "Facebook, la fabrique des amis", 18/05/2012
- La Croix, "Le www. fête ses 25 ans", 12/3/2014
- O1 Net, "Semweb.pro : la France bien positionnée sur le web sémantique", 20/01/2011
- INRIA (press release), "Tendances et défis des années 2.0 ", 12/3/2014
- Spiral TV, "Causerie avec Fabien Gandon : c'est quoi le web sémantique", 24/08/2011
- WebTimeMedias "Sophia : un MOOC sur le Web de données et le Web Sémantique", 24/02/2015
- Interview « Documentaliste SI » Doc-SI n°3-2013
- Interview « le web sémantique », Sophia/Metropole Mag, 06/2013
- Interview Graphemeride « Le Web Sémantique », 15/4/2013
- Interview Dunod Edition "Le web sémantique ou web intelligent", 15/02/2012
Organizer - conferences, workshops, events
- Co-organizer of the "1st International Workshop on Linked Data and Distributed Ledgers" LDDL, Co-located at WWW 2017, Perth, Australia 4th April 2017
- Organizer of workshop Q4APS 2016 at WWW 2016.
- Organizer of workshop IntraWeb at WWW06.
- Organizer of the AFIA platform 2005 (3 conferences, 4 workshops, 2 thematic days, one tutorial ; 142 articles and 250 participants).
- Organizer of the first French VoCamp, September 2009 in Nice
- Organizing committee for the Workshop "Semantic Web Services for Enterprise Application Integration and E-Commerce", 30 September 2003, ICEC
- Organizing committee for the Workshops: "Knowledge Management through Corporate Semantic Webs" at EKAW'2002, KCAP'2003, EKAW'2004
- Organizing committee for Doctoral Symposium, COOP'2002
- Organizing committee for workshop "Common approaches in knowledge management" at EKAW’2000.
Projects - international, european, national, industrial, etc.
- ANSWER is a project to develop the new version of the Qwant search engine by introducing radical innovations in terms of search criteria as well as indexed content and users’ privacy. The purpose is to strengthen everyone’s confidence in the search engine and increase the effectiveness of web search. Building trust in the search engine is based on innovations in (1) Security: computer security, privacy; (2) Completeness: completeness and heterogeneity of (re)sources; and (3) Neutrality: analysis, extraction, indexing, and classification of data.
- MonaLIA project with French Ministry of Culture. It consists of a preliminary study on image recognition of the Joconde database in connection with semantic data (JocondeLab). The goal of this project is to exploit the cross-fertilization of recent advances in machine learning for image recognition and KRR on semantic indexing and annotated image databases in order to improve the accuracy and the details of the annotation.
- WASABI stands for Web Audio Semantic Aggregated in the Browser for Indexation. The WASABI ANR project, started in January 2017, aims at: (1) the construction of a 2 million song knowledge base that combines metadata collected from music databases on the Web, metadata resulting from the analysis of song lyrics, and metadata resulting from the audio analysis (2) the development of semantic applications with high added value to exploit this semantic database. (3) the development of interactive WebAudio applications linked to the Wasabi database. WebAudio is a new W3C standard API that brings computer music to the Web Browser.
- SEEMPAD (Social Exchanges and Emotions in Mediated Polemics – Analysis and Data) is as international research Lab ( Wimmics, INRIA - Heron, University of Montreal) generating, annotating and analyzing a dataset that documents a debate. We aim at synchronizing several dimensions: Social links, interactions happening, textual content of the exchanged messages, semantic relations among the arguments, emotions, polarity, opinions detected from the text and from sensors.
- ALOOF (Autonomous Learning of the Meaning of Objects) is a European project (CHIST-ERA 2015-2018) to enable robots to use the ever-growing amount of knowledge available on the Web, by learning from there about the meaning of previously unseen objects, expressed in a form that makes them applicable when acting in situated environments.
- SMILK (Social Media Intelligence and Linked Knowledge) is a joint laboratory (Labcom, 2013-2016) between the Wimmics team and the Research and Innovation unit of VISEO (Grenoble). The purpose of SMILK is both to develop research and technologies in order to retrieve, analyze, and reason on textual data coming from Web sources, and to make use of LOD, social networks structures and interaction in order to improve the analysis and understanding of textual resources.
- DiscoveryHub is an exploratory search engine resulting from a CIFRE convention with Alcatel-Bell-Lucent. Web growth, both in size and diversity, and users’ growing expectations increase the need for innovative search approaches and technologies. Exploratory search systems are built specifically to help user in cognitive consuming search tasks like learning or investigation. Some of these systems are built on the top of linked data and use its semantic richness to provide cognitively-optimized search experiences. This work addresses the question of real-time linked data processing for exploratory search purposes.
- OCKTOPUS is an ANR project (2012-2015 ; ANR-12-CORD-0026). The objective of OCKTOPUS is to increase the potential social and economic benefit of the large and quickly growing amounts of user-generated content, by transforming it into useful knowledge. Specifically, we will focus on a multi-disciplinary approach in order to address the problem of finding relevant answers to questions within forums and question-answer sites. Wimmics focuses on analyzing the structural and temporal aspects of the complex typed social graphs found within these communities.
- DBpedia.fr is the French chapter of DBpedia used in many applications, in particular for the publication of cultural collections. Because DBpedia is focused on the English version of Wikipedia it ignores some of the French topics and their data. This projects aims at extracting a maximum of RDF data from the French version and providing a stable and scalable end-point. It is done in the context of Semanticpedia convention with the French Ministry of Culture.
- QAKIS is an on-going internal project that implements question answering over DBpedia. QAKiS allows end users to submit a query to an RDF triple store in English and obtain the answer in the same language, hiding the complexity of the non-intuitive formal query languages involved in the resolution process.
- Datalift is an ANR project (2010-2013 ; ANR-10-CORD-009). Its goal is to design a platform to publish and interlink datasets on the Web of data. Datalift will both publish datasets coming from a network of partners and data providers and propose a set of tools for easing the datasets publication process. DataLift brings raw structured data coming from various formats (relational databases, CSV, XML, ...) to semantic data interlinked on the Web of Data.
- S4AC and SHI3LD are a results of Datalift and provide a Context-Aware Authorization based on SPARQL for Graph Stores.
- SeGViz SemanticWebImport Gephi Plugin was an Inria ADT project that provided a Semantic Web Import Plugin for Gephi visualization of linked data graph. It allows the import of semantic data into the Gephi open graph vizualisation platform for an interactive visualization and exploration platform of all kinds of networks. The imported data are obtained by processing a SPARQL request on the semantic data and public end-points.
- PRISSMA (Presentation of Resources for Interoperable Semantic and Shareable Mobile Adaptability) is a result of Datalift and provides a domain-independent vocabulary for displaying Web of Data resources in mobile environments. It consists in a lightweight ontology for describing context conditions in a declarative style.
- Kolflow is an ANR project (2011-2014 ; ANR-10-CORD-0021), it proposes to extend collective intelligence with smart agents relying on automated reasoning. Smart agents can significantly reduce the overhead of communities in the process of continuously building knowledge. Consequently, continuous knowledge building is much more efficient. Kolflow aims at building a social semantic space where humans collaborate with smart agents in order to produce knowledge understandable by humans and machines.
- RATIO4TIA (interlinked explanations for triple assertions) is a result of Kolflow and provides an OWL ontology for describing explanation metadata. It allows describing metadata about data, reasoning processes, results, data derivations, rules, and software applications.
- ISICIL is an ANR project (2019-2011) that studied and experimented with the usage of new tools for assisting corporate intelligence tasks. These tools rely on web 2.0 advanced interfaces (blog, wiki, social bookmarking) for interactions and on semantic web technologies for interoperability and information processing.
- Palette (Pedagogically sustained Adaptive Learning Through the exploitation of Tacit and Explicit knowledge) is a European project (IP FP6 IST ; 2006-2009) that studied how to assist communities in e-Learning.
- Sealife is a European project (STREPS IST-2006-027269 ; 2006-2008)) that provided a semantic navigator Web for life sciences applied to the study of infectious diseases
- SevenPro is a European project (2006-2008 ; STREPS) on Semantic Virtual Engineering Environment for Product Design and the annotation of technical documents to increase interactions in 3D.
- Knowledge Web is a European Network of Excellence (NOE ; Knowledge Web FP6-507482)
- CoMMA (Corporate Memory Management through Agents) is a European project (2000-2002 ; IST-1999-12217 ; FP5 ) that provided a multi-agent architecture to allow the distributed management and exploitation of a corporate semantic Web
- Griwes is an INRIA COLOR project to propose a generic graph-based abstract language for knowledge representation and reasoning, 2007.
- Edccaeteras is an INRIA COLOR project to study semantic distances and similarities between concepts in order to improve search mechanisms, 2006.
- Aprobatiom is an INRIA COLOR project to study corporate memory and ontology-based knowledge representation for the design of buildings and the construction industry, 2001.
Reviewer - journals, conferences, workshops
Reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, IEEE Intelligent Systems, IEEE Internet Computing, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, IEEE Computer Magazine, IEEE Transaction on Multimedia, International Journal of Human-Computer Studies - IJHCS, World Wide Web Journal, SpringerLink , Knowledge-Based & Intelligent Engineering Systems AMKM special issue, IJSWIS special issue for MOSO, Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering, Journal of Universal Computer Science, Data & Knowledge Engineering (DKE), Numéro spécial Revue Document Numérique sur les "Applications à base de SOC hétérogènes", Journal of Web Semantics, Semantic Web Journal (special issue ESWC 2015, special issue on Linked Datasets Descriptions) "Electronic Commerce Research and Applications" journal, Elsevier, Advances in Knowledge Discovery and Management, Intellectica
- International Semantic Web Conference ISWC2018, ISWC2017 (senior PC), ISWC2016 (senior PC), ISWC2015, ISWC2014, ISWC2013 (senior PC), ISWC2012, ISWC2011, ISWC 2009
- International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence IJCAI2018 IJCAI2017 (Senior PC), IJCAI2016, IJCAI2013, IJCAI2005
- European Semantic Web Conference ESWC2017, ESWC2016, ESWC2013, ESWC2012 ESWC2011 ESWC PhD Symp. 2010 ESWC2009 ESWC2008 ESWC2007 ESWC2006
- Web Science Conference WebSci2017, WebSci2016, WebSci2013, WebSci2012, WebSci2011, WebSci2010
- The Web Conference (WWW Series) The Web Conference 2018 WWW2016 WWW2015 WWW2014 WWW2013 WWW2012< WWW2011
- Very Large Databases VLDB 2013
- International Conference on Formal Ontology in Information Systems FOIS2016
- International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media ICWSM2013
- Web & Philosophy International Symposium PhiloWeb2010 PhiloWeb2011
- Hypertext Conference Hypertext2015, Hypertext2014, Hypertext2013, Hypertext2012
- Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems AAMAS 2008
- International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications AINA-2012
- Terminology & Ontology : Theories and applications TOTh2013 TOTh2012
- Innovations in Information Technology IIT 2006
- Concurrent Engineering CE 2006, Canadian Semantic Web Working Symposium CSWWS 2006
- IEEE/WIC/ACM Web Intelligence (WI2003, WI2004, WI2005, WI2006, WI2007,WI2008), WI2009 WI2010 WI2011 WI2012 WI2013 WI2014 WI2017
- SEMANTiCS SEMANTiCS2016, SEMANTiCS2015, SEMANTiCS2014
- HICSS (2004)
- European Conference on Social Intelligence (ECSI-2014)
- International Conference on Electronic Commerce (ICEC2003 ICEC2004)
- Ingénierie des Connaissances IC2017, IC2016 IC2015 IC2014 IC2013, IC2012IC2011 IC2010 IC2009 IC2008 IC2007 IC2006
- Extraction et Gestion des Connaissances EGC2018, EGC2016, EGC2015, EGC2014, EGC2013, EGC2012 EGC2011 EGC2010EGC2009EGC2008
- Colloque de Psychologie Ergonomique EPIQUE 2009
- International Conference on Internet and Web Applications and Services ICIW2008
- Second International Conference on Web and Information Technologies ICIWT 2009
- Langages et Modèles à Objets (LMO2008)
- ACM Symposium on Applied Computing SAC2007 SAC2008 SAC2009 SAC2010 SAC2011 SAC2012 SAC2013
- Information Systems IS 2008 IS 2009
- Asian Semantic Web Conference ASWC 2009ASWC 2008
- Pratical Aspects of Knowledge Management PAKM 2008 PAKM 2010
- Research Challenges in Information Science RCIS 2009
- International Conference on Database and Expert Systems Applications DEXA (2009)
- International Conference on Advances in Semantic Processing SEMAPRO 2009
- International Conference on Database Theory and Extending Database Technology (EDBTICDT2010)
- IEEE Information Visualization Conference InfoVis 2010
- Intelligent Semantic Web, Applications and Services 2010 ISWSA2010
- International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Ontology Development KEOD 2010
- Reconnaissance des Formes et Intelligence Artificielle RFIA2014, RFIA2012, RFIA 2010
- Semantic Web Professionals Conference: SemWebPro2016 SemWebPro2015 SemWebPro2014 SemWebPro2012 SemWebPro2011
- Future Technologies FutureTech2012
- Artificial Intelligence meets the Web of Data AImWD2012
- Linked Data on the Web LDOW2012
- International Workshop on Consuming Linked Data COLD2010 COLD2011
- Semantic Social Network Analysis and Design SSNAD2012
- International Workshop on Diversity-Aware Artificial Intelligence DIVERSITY 2016 at ECAI
- Semantic Web Collaborative Spaces SWCS2014 SWCS2013 SWCS2012
- Workshop on Collective Intelligence in Semantic Web and Social Networks CISWSN 2010
- Workshop on Personal Semantic Data, PSD 2010
- Federated Social Web Europe FSWE2011
- Social Computing, Network, and Services SocialComNet2011 SocialComNet2012
- Social Object Networks SocialObjects2011
- SSN Semantic social networks 2013
- SemanticCities 2013
- User Profile Data on the Social Semantic Web UWeb2011
- Knowledge Management and Organizational Memories (KMOM2001 KMOM2002 KMOM2003 KMOM2004 KMOM2005 KMOM2006)
- Advanced Enterprise Repositories AER 2009 AER 2010
- Semantic Web Applications Theory and Practice SemWAT2006
- Making Sense of Microposts #MSM2011 #MSM2012 #MSM2013 #MSM2014
- Mining Ubiquitous and Social Environments MUSE2011
- Mobile Services and Ontologies MOSO2006MOSO2007
- Organizations to Organization Oriented Programming (2005)
- Agent-Mediated Knowledge Management (AMKM2004, AMKM2005, AMKM2006)
- Knowledge Markup and Semantic Annotation SemAnnot2005, SemAnnot2004
- AAAI Agent Organizations: Theory and Practice (2004)
- Semantic Web Technology for Mobile and Ubiquitous Applications SWMU2004SWMU2006
- Knowledge Management and Semantic Web for Engineering Design KW4ED2007
- Knowledge Web PhD Symposium KWEPSY2007
- Ontologies and Information Systems for the Semantic Web ONISW2007 ONISW2008
- Web Semantics WebS(from 2005 to 2013)
- Workshop Social Data on the Web SDoW2008 SDoW2009 SDoW2010 SDoW2011
- Workshop on Semantic Personalized Information Management, SPIM 2010 SPIM2012 SPIM 2013
- Graph Structures For Knowledge Representation And Reasoning GKR 2009, 2011
- Trust and Privacy on the Social and Semantic Web SPOT 2009 SPOT2010
- Semantic Extensions to Middleware SEMELS 2009
- Semantic Wiki SemWiki (2009) SemWiki2010
- Social Network Interoperability SNI 2009
- Middleware for Semantic Web MSW 2009
- Trust, Risk, Reputation and Recommendation on the Web MSW 2009
- Journées MARAMi 2010 MARAMI2011 MARAMI2012
- Atelier Web Social at EGC WebSocial2010 WebSocial2011
- Knowledge Management and Collaboration KMC2011
- Qualité et Robustesse dans le Web de Données QetR2011 QetR2013
- Sources Ouvertes et Services SOS2011 SOS2012
Lectures - online, university
- In Charge of the French MOOC "Web sémantique et Web de données", FUN, 2015
- 2004-... : Annual master course on Semantic Web, Polytech, University Nice Sophia Antipolis (participation: 8H-15H)
- 2014-... : Linked Data Graph, at « Winter School on Complex Networks » WSCN2014, WSCN2015, WSCN2017 3H30
- 2009-2014 : Annual master course on Knowledge Engineering, Polytech, University Nice Sophia Antipolis (4H-8H)
- 2008-2013 Introduction to web sémantique à l’Ecole Centrale de Paris, 1H30 every year
- Introduction au web sémantique à ENS Cachan, 3H ,2012
- 2007-2011 : Cours annuel Web Sémantique en Licence Pro (6H)
- 2012: Formation d’une journée au web sémantique à l’URFIST de Bordeaux et de Rennes.
- 2005-2011: : Annual master course on Semantic Web, University Gaston Berger St Louis (Senegal) "les standards du Web et du Web Sémantique" (28H)
- 2009-2010 : Intervention dans « Fondamentaux des Sciences de l’Information », cours Web et données, SKEMA (CERAM), 3H
- 2009-2010 : Semantic Web, Social Semantic Web « Summer School Web Intelligence », 3H
- 2002: lecture at “Knowledge Management Summer School”
- 2002: master course on Knowledge Engineering and ontologies (DEA de l'École des Mines de St Etienne, département SIMMO), 12H
- 1998-1999 : weekly 3H course at West Herts College, Leggatts Campus, Watford, BTEc Higher National Certificate in Business Information Technology
- 1995: Web tutorial at INSA Rouen
Supervision - PhDs, Internships,...
- Zide Meng, « temporal and semantic analysis of richly typed social networks from user-generated-content sites on the web. », 2016 (co-supervised by Catherine Faron-Zucker)
- Amine Hallili, « conversational agent for the web social and based on the semantic web », 2016 (co-supervised by Catherine Faron-Zucker)
- Nicolas Marie, « real-time and linked-data based exploratory search through semantic spreading activation », 2014 (co-supervised Myriam Ribière, CIFRE Alcatel-Lucent Bell Labs)
- Oumy Seye, « Linked Rules and SPARQL-RIF relations », 2014 (main supervisors: Catherine Faron-Zucker and Olivier Corby)
- Rakebul Hasan, « génération et résumé d’explications sur les processus d’interrogation et de raisonnement du web sémantique », 2014 (co-supervised by Pierre-Antoine Champin,)
- Maxime Lefrançois, « Meaning-Text Theory Lexical Semantic Knowledge Representation : Conceptualization, Representation, and Operationalization of Lexicographic Definitions », 2014 (co-supervised by Christian Boitet)
- Luca Costabello, « Context-aware access control and presentation of linked data », 2013 (co-supervised Ivan Herman)
- Adrien Basse, « Extraction de motifs de graphes pour caractériser des sources de données RD », 2012 (co-supervised Isabelle Mirbel)
- Guillaume Erétéo, « semantic social network analysis », 2011 (co-supervised by Michel Buffa, Patrick Grohan, CIFRE Orange Lab.)
- Freddy Limpens, « Multi-points of view semantic enrichment of folksonomies », 2010 (co-supervised by Michel Buffa)
- Jodi Schneider, Post-Doc ABCDE ERCIM "argumentation and scientific data publication".
- Elena Cabrio, Post-doc Labex UCN@Sophia on "QAKIS: question-answering in natural language on linked data".
- Julien Cojan, Semanticpédia on DBpedia.fr.
- Serena Villata, post-doc in Datalift on access control and licences for linked data.
- Moussa Lo, AUF senior post-doctoral on semantic web services annotation and composition.
Graduated and Research Engineers
- Nicolas Delaforge : project leader of ISICIL on corporate semantic social networks.
- Sébastien Comos : ISICIL, J2EE architect for ISICIL on corporate semantic social networks.
- Priscille Durville : ANR eWOK, data integration in geology and petroleum domains
- Mohammed Benis : ANR eWOK, web service semantic annotation in geology and petroleum domains
- Nicolas Gronnier: RNTL KmP project on skill annotation for Telecom Valley de Sophia Antipolis.
Master students, Final year projects, Apprentices
- Manuel Fédou (Master 1, 2009) : study probabilistic models to obtain reliable estimates of several metrics on social networks in RDF graphs with SPARQL.
- Stéphane Aguilella (Master 1, 2009) : user-friendly interface for teaching and developing with CORESE.
- Djibi Gueye (Master 2, 2009) : tag server to host and analyse folksonomies.
- Papa Thierno Diop (Master 2, 2009) : social network server implementing several indicators.
- Gaoussou Camara (Master 2, 2008) : virtual reality interface augmented with semantic annotation, queries and navigation.
- Ibrahima Diop (Deux stages, Master 2, 2008, 2007) : semantic distances in comparing cases for case-based project memories.
- Cheikh Niang (Master 2, 2007) : distributed sources and query resolution.
- Yann Vigile Hoareau, ACET, pré-doctorant, sur la Color Edccaeteras (2006) : comparison of approaches based on ontologies and LSA for semantic distances.
- Guillaume Ereteo (Master 2, 2006) core engine of the semantic wiki SweetWiki.
- Muriel Boutet, Anthony Canto, Emmanuel Roux (Master 2, 2005) semantic distances as perceived by humans.
- Tiffany Chang, Asa Sherrill, Gil Tolle, Brandon Weber, (IHM Master, Carnegie Mellon, 2003), InfoBridge: distributed virtual posters accessible via Wifi and PDA.
- Tuan-Dung Cao (DEA, Institut de la Francophonie pour l’Informatique Viet Nam, 2002) RDF annotation extraction rules editor for Web sites with a repetitive structure.
- Antony Ginepro (DEA Université de Caen, 2001), Alain-Pierre Manine (4ième année INSA Lyon, 2001) COLOR APROBATIOM document memory for designing buildings.
- Laurent Berthelot ( DRT - CoMMA project , 2000) semantic distances for auctions in allocating RDF annotations to distributed triple stores.
Awards - best papers, etc.
- University Côte d'Azur (UCA) medal for research results, 2017
- University Côte d'Azur (UCA) prize to the Wimmics team for research results, 2016
- ESWC 2013 Best paper award « A Support Framework for Argumentative Discussions Management in the Web », Elena Cabrio, Serena Villata, Fabien Gandon (Rank A)
- ESWC 2013 Best demo award « Exploratory search on the top of DBpedia chapters with the Discovery Hub application », Nicolas Marie, Myriam Ribiere, Fabien Gandon, Damien Legrand
- Startup Challenge award for “The Showcase Machine” based on DiscoveryHub (challenge Jeune Pousse de Telecom Valley Sophia Antipolis) 2013.
- Second best poster SSSW 2013 (10th Summer School on Ontology Engineering and the Semantic Web), Rakebul Hasan, Fabien Gandon on "Linked Justifications", 2013.
- Best poster paper ISWC 2012: “Towards Licenses Compatibility and Composition in the Web of Data”, Rank A+
- Spotlight Paper / General Interest Paper ISWC 2009 : “Analysis of a Real Online Social Network using Semantic Web Frameworks”, Rank A+
Juries - PhD, HDR,...
HDR (habilitation for research directors)
- Reviewer HDR Hala Skaf Molli on “Decentralized Data Management for the Semantic Web”, l’Université de Nantes, 6/9/2017
- President of the HDR Catherine Faron-Zucker on “”, University Côte d’Azur, 12/06/2017
- Reviewer HDR of Pierre-Antoine Champin on “Empowering Ambivalence Supporting multiple interpretations in knowledge-based systems”, Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1, 13/06/2017
- President HDR Fabrice Huet, From HPC to Big Data: Models and Tools for Large Scale Middleware, February 15th. 2016
- Reviewer HRD Olivier Dameron entitled "Ontology-based methods for analyzing life science data", IRISA, Université de Rennes, January 11th. 2016
- President of the jury of Freddy Lecue Habilitation Semantics for Scalable Machine Reasoning in the Web of Data, University Nice-Sophia Antipolis, November 6th 2015.
- Fabian Suchanek : « Contributions à l'avancement des grandes bases de connaissances », Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, 10/10/2014, Rapporteur
- Sébastien Ferré: “Reconciling Expressivity and Usability in Information Access From File Systems to the Semantic Web”, IRISA, University Rennes 1, 6/11/2014, examinateur
- Rallou Thomopoulos : « Aide à la decision dans les lières agroalimentaires » Université Montpellier II, 2013
- Talel Abdessalem, Complex data management: spatio-temporal data, XML and the web, Télécom ParisTech, 4 January 2012, Examinateur
- Olivier Curé “On the relationships between databases and ontologies in the context of the Web of Data”, Paris Est, 11/10/2010, Jury member (examinateur/examiner)
- President of the Ph.D. jury of Franck Michel on “Integrating Heterogeneous Data Sources In The Web Of Data”, University Côte d’Azur 03/03/2017
- Reviewer for PhD of Iacopo Vagliano on “Content Recommendation Through Linked Data”, Politecnico di Torino, 5/4/2017
- Reviewer Ph.D. Thesis Andrei-Nicolae Ciortea entitled ”Weaving a SocialWeb of Things: Enabling Autonomous and Flexible Interaction in the Internet of Things”, École Nationale Supérieure des Mines de Saint-Étienne and University Politehnica of Bucarest, January 14th. 2016
- Reviewer Ph.D. Thesis Gabriela Montoya entitled ”Answering SPARQL Queries using Views”, LINA, Université de Nantes Angers Le Mans, March 3rd. 2016
- Reviewer PhD Thesis Luis Redondo Garcia, ”Semantically Capturing and Representing Contextualized News Stories on the Web”, Eurecom, TELECOM ParisTech, March 4th. 2016
- Jury member PhD Thesis M. ALSAREM Mazen entitled ”Semantic Snippets via Query-Biased Ranking of Linked Data Entities”, Insa Lyon, University Lyon, Villeurbanne, May 5th. 2016
- Jury member PhD Thesis Luis Galarraga entitled ”Rule Mining in Knowledge Bases”, TELECOM ParisTech, September 9th. 2016
- Bruno Paiva Lima da Silva : “Data Access over Large Semi-Structured Databases - A Generic Approach Towards Rule-Based Systems”, 13/01/2014, Univ. Montpellier 2, LIRMM, Rapporteur
- Fabrizio Orlandi : “Profiling User Interests on the Social Semantic Web”, National University of Ireland, Galway, external examiner (rapporteur), 31/03/2014
- Andrei Vlad Sambra: “Data Ownership and Interoperability for a Decentralized Social Semantic Web” Telecom SudParis, University Pierre et Marie Curie, 2013
- Gaoussou Camara : « Conception D’un Système De Veille Epidémiologique à Base D’Ontologies Application à la schistosomiase au Sénégal » University Pierre et Marie Curie and University Gaston Berger, 2013
- Benjamin Renoust, “Analysis and Visualisation of Edge Entanglement in Multiplex Networks”, University of Bordeaux, 2013
- Antoine Seilles, Structuration de débats en ligne à l’aide d’Annotations socio-sémantiquesVers une analyse de réseaux sociaux centrés sur l’interaction, 25-01-2012, LIRMM, Reviewer / Rapporteur
- Benoit Mathern, "Découverte interactive de connaissances à partir de traces d'activité : Synthèse d'automates pour l'analyse et la modélisation de l'activité de conduite automobile", 12 March 2012, LIRIS, Reviewer / Rapporteur
- David Rouquet, "Multilinguïsation d'ontologies dans le cadre de la recherche d'information translingue dans des collections d'images accompagnées de textes spontanés", IMAG, 6 April 2012, Examinateur
- Damien Leprovost, "Découverte et analyse des communautés implicites par une approche sémantique en ligne : l’outil WebTribe", LE2I Université de Bourgogne, 30 November 2012, Examinateur
- Milan Stankovic, "Web Social Sémantique: Applications dans l'innovation sur le Web", Université Paris-Sorbonne, 7 December 2012, Reviewer / Rapporteur.
- Alice Hermann, "Création et mise à jour guidée d'objets dans une base de connaissances", 17 December 2012, IRISA INSA Rennes, Examinateur
- Florie Bugeaud, “iSamsara : pour une Ingénierie des Systèmes de Services à base de Méréologie et d’Hypergraphes”, Université de Technologie de Troyes, 12th July 2011, (examinateur/examiner)
- Jérémie Doucy, “Méthodologie pour l'orchestration sémantique de services : Définition et implémentation d'une plateforme sémantique de traitement de documents multimedia”, INSA de Rouen, 17 October 2011, Jury member (rapporteur/ reviewer)
- Sheila Kinsella, “Augmenting Social Media Items with Metadata using Related Web Content”,30th August 2011, DERI, University Galway, Ireland, Jury member (rapporteur/ reviewer)
- Johann Stan, “A Semantic Framework for Social Search”, University of Lyon, Université Jean-Monnet, 9th November 2011, Jury member (rapporteur/ reviewer)
- Pierre-Yves Vandenbussche, “Définition d'un cadre formel de représentation des Systèmes d'Organisation de la Connaissance”, Université Pierre et Marie Curie - Paris VI, 10 November 2011, Jury member (rapporteur/ reviewer)
- Damien Cram "Découverte interactive de chroniques : application à la co-construction de connaissances à partir de traces", Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1, 30/09/2010, Jury member (rapporteur/ reviewer)
- Claudia Marinica , " Association Rule Interactive Post-processing using Rule Schemas and Ontologies - ARIPSO ", Université de Nantes, 26/10/2010, Jury member (rapporteur/ reviewer)
- Charbel Rahal, "Wikis sémantiques sur réseaux pair-à-pair", Université Henri Poincaré, Nancy 1, 9/11/2010, Jury member (rapporteur/ reviewer)
- Julien Subercaze "Un modèle d’agent sémantique. Application aux communautés virtuelles de connaissances", INSA de Lyon, 6/12/2010, Jury member (rapporteur/ reviewer)
- Mohamadou Thiam "Annotation Sémantique de Documents Semi-structurés pour la Recherche d'Information". Universités Paris 11 Orsay et Gaston Berger du Sénégal, 9/12/2010, Jury member (rapporteur/ reviewer)
- Nacim Chikhi "Calcul de centralité et identification de structures de communautés dans les graphes de documents". Université Paul Sabatier Toulouse, 17/12/2010, Jury member (rapporteur/ reviewer)
- Julita Bermejo-Alonso, School of Engineering at the Universidad Politecnica de Madrid (Spain), "Ontology for Autonomous Systems: OASys", 9/6/2010, External advisor
- Alexandre Passant, University La Sorbonne, "Technologies du Web Sémantique pour l’Entreprise 2.0", 2009, Jury member (examinateur/examiner)
- Adeline Leblanc, l'Université Technologique de Compiègne, 2009, Jury member (examinateur/examiner)
- Freddy Lécué, "Composition de Services Web: Une Approche basée Liens Sémantiques", 8/10/2008, Jury member (examinateur/examiner)
- Laurent Mazuel "Traitement de l'hétérogénéité sémantique dans les interactions humain-agent et agent-agent", 2008
- Lobna Karoui "Extraction contextuelle d'ontologie par fouille de données", 2008
Commissions - funding agencies, recruitment,...
- Expert for IWT (research and innovation funding agency of the Flemish, Belgian, government) iMinds ICON program 2014
- Expert for Digiteo-DigiCosme 2013
- Expert commission ANR 2006 and Referee ANR 2007 in MDCO program and from 2007 to 2011 in CONTINT.
- Expert for RNTL 2003-2005, and expert for the generic call 2013-2014
- Evaluation committee of the project Web Intelligence (Rhône Alpes Region), 14/10/2010
Research and Lecturing Background
September. 18 - ... : Vice-head of research for Inria Sophia Antipolis - Méditerranée.<.
June 17 - ... :
Oct. 14 - ... : Senior Researcher and Research Director (DR Inria) at Inria.
July 13 - ... : Scientific Leader of the Wimmics joint research team at Inria in the Research Center of Sophia-Antipolis and I3S, CNRS, University of Nice - Sophia Antipolis (France)..
Jan 12 - ... : Advisory Committee representative (W3C AC Rep.) of Inria at the World-Wide Web Consortium (W3C).
Jan 12 - June 13 : Research leader of the Wimmics Research team of Inria in the Research Center of Sophia-Antipolis, France..
Oct. 07 - Dec. 11 : Full-time Researcher in Informatics and Computer Science in the Edelweiss Research team of Inria in the Research Center of Sophia-Antipolis, France.
Jan. 04 - Sep 07: Full-time Researcher in Informatics and Computer Science in the Acacia Research team of Inria in the Research Center of Sophia-Antipolis, France
Jan. 03 - Dec. 03: Post-doc position in the Mobile Commerce Lab (ISRI) within the School of Computer Science at Carnegie Mellon University. I was working on the myCampus project providing context-aware mobile accesses to web services aimed at enhancing everyday life on the campus of a university. It relies on Semantic Web standards for data communication and storage, multi-agent systems and web services for the implementation of services, and personal digital assistants with wireless network connections for access and localisation. See also myCampus final report of 2003.
Thursday 7th November 2002: Ph.D. Defense. I was a Ph.D. student in the Acacia Research team of Inria in the Research Center of Sophia-Antipolis (French National Institute for Research in Computer Science and Control). My subject was "Distributed Artificial Intelligence and Knowledge Management: ontologies and multi-agents systems for a corporate semantic web.". This work concerned multi-agents systems for the management of a corporate semantic web based on an ontology. It was carried out in the context of the European project CoMMA focusing on two application scenarios: support technology monitoring activities and assist the integration of a new employee to the organisation. Three aspects were essentially developed in this work:
- the design of a multi-agents architecture supporting both scenarios, and the organisational top-down approach followed to identify the societies, the roles and the interactions of agents.
- the construction of the ontology O'CoMMA and the structuring of a corporate memory exploiting semantic Web technologies.
- the design and implementation of the sub-societies of agents dedicated to the management of the annotations and the ontology and of the protocols underlying these groups of agents, in particular techniques for distributing annotations and queries between the agents.
Nov. 01 - Oct. 02: Third year of Ph.D. at Inria and Third year of "Monitorat", in charge of three groups of students from University, first year in Mathematics and Physics for practical work sessions on Java programming. ("Moniteur" : french lecturer's training in 3 years) at Nice University. A "Moniteur" gives an average of 64 hours / 96 hours of lecturing per year and receives training (lessons and practical sessions) from the local public lecturer training institute. Also in charge of a course on Ontologies at "Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Mines Saint Etienne" - 12 hours - level : DEA (Equivalent to M.Phil.). Finally, two short presentations and one cluster at KMSS 2002.
Nov. 00 - Oct. 01: Second year of Ph.D. at Inria and second year of "Monitorat", in charge of three groups of students from University, second year in Mathematics and Physics for practical work sessions on "Unix and Networks". Also, in charge of two groups of students from University, first year in Mathematics and Physics for practical work sessions on Java programming.
Nov. 99 - Oct. 00: First year of Ph.D. at Inria and first year of "Monitorat", in charge of "Internet, Web and Network technology" introduction course and practical work sessions. Also supervising practical work sessions on some office tools (Excel, Word and Netscape Composer)
Oct. 98 - June 99: Part-time lecturer at West Herts College on BTEc Higher National Certificate in Business Information Technology (Computer's Fundamentals, MS-Office Pack, Support & Helpdesk).
July 98 - Oct. 99: Software engineer for Bull - Integris in offices in Hemel-Hempstead(UK); designing cost-management tools.
June 97 - Oct. 97: Software Engineer (internship) for Toshiba , Yanagi-cho research centre ; in Tokyo, Kawasaki-shi (Japan) ; designing 3D visualization of agents for a multi-agent platform see Plangent web site.
- Running introduction to computer science evening classes (1994-1997), for members of the public.
- In charge of the computer science club of the INSA of Rouen for the academic year 1995-1996
July 2016: student of the LxMLS summer School 2016, the 6th Lisbon Machine Learning School covering a range of machine learning (ML) Topics, from theory to practice, that are important in solving natural language processing (NLP) problems that arise in the analysis and use of Web data.
10-12 July 07: first-aid employee training.
2004-2014: several trainings in Improv / Theater Sport.
Sept. 01 - June 02: Third year of lecturer training for the "Monitorat" organized by the CIES of Nice
02-13 July 2001 ACAI-01 : Advanced Course on Artificial Intelligence & EASSS-01 :Third European Agent Systems Summer School Czech Technical University in Prague, Czech Republic
Sept. 00 - June 01: Second year of training for the "Monitorat" at the IUFM and CIES of Nice
4-8 Sept. 2000: Thematic French Summer School of GdR?-PRC-I3 "Nouveaux défis en Sciences de l'Information : Documents & Evolution", Faculté des Sciences de Saint-Jérôme, Marseille. (New Challenges in Information Sciences: Documents and Evolution)
14-18 August 2000: EASSS 2nd European Agent Systems Summer School in Saarbrucken Germany
Sept. 99 - June 00: First year of training for the "Monitorat" at the IUFM and CIES of Nice
1993-1998: Graduated High School Engineer in Applied Mathematics (Master’s Degree in Engineering) and M.Phil. in Image Processing and Control.
- National Institute of Applied Sciences (INSA) of Rouen. Department of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science. Graduated as ‘Ingénieur’ (Master’s Degree in Engineering) in July 1998, first rank. The final year dissertation comprising a study of feasibility of a knowledge-based system in the field of architectural conception in the construction industry.
- During the last year I undertook, in parallel, studies for an M.Phil. in image processing and knowledge based systems. Graduated in September 1998, from the University of Rouen, second rank. Presentation of a paper at IC'98 (Knowledge Engineering): "Expertise dans le cadre d'un processus de conception : un exemple en architecture" submitted by Régine Loisel & Catherine Gréboval-Barry. In the proceedings of IC'98 , Nancy, The 13-15 of May 1998, pages 243-250
June 1993: French 'Baccalaureate' with honours, Computer Science option (Equivalent of British A levels, with specialisation in mathematics, chemistry, physics and computer science)
May 1993: Winner of the Special Science Academy Award in the national 'Olympiads of Physics' competition. work on low altitude ozone evolution.
Improvisational theatre / Theater Sports: I am a member, trainer and referee at AIA the theater sport team of Antibes.
Singing: I was a member of the Music School of Mougins
Nationality: French, I was born in Orléans, France (Loiret 45)
Date of Birth: