Re: IESG review: applicability

takei@csm.jcsat.co.jp wrote:

> From: Tim Gleeson <tgleeson@cisco.com>
> Subject: IESG review: applicability
> Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 11:12:27 +0900
>
> tgleeson> > 2. (comment 1)
> tgleeson> > This draft seems oriented to applications such as WebTV
> tgleeson> > and similar scale uses.  One worries that other flavor
> tgleeson> > applications, e.g. highly assymetric high-bandwidth
> tgleeson> > inter-continental backbones, would find it not useful but
> tgleeson> > be faced with "you're not doing it the ietf standard way."
> tgleeson> > Hence the addition of an applicibility statement to the
> tgleeson> > draft would be helpful.
>
> This draft describes Link-layer mechanism which is required by the
> UDL-node that act as a router with dynamic routing protocol
> e.g. OSPF, BGP, RIP. I think WebTV-like receivers do not have to have
> routing function. So, the comment looks like based on some
> misunderstanding with this draft focus. If the draft lead this kind
> of misunderstanding, we should update a part of abstract.
>
> --
> NTT-SC/JSAT
> Jun Takei

As pointed by Tim, the abstract looks also clear enough to me:

   This document describes a mechanism to emulate bidirectional
   connectivity between nodes that are directly connected by a
   unidirectional link. The "receiver" uses a link layer tunneling
   mechanism to forward datagrams to "feeds" over a separate
   bidirectional IP network. As it is implemented at the link layer,
   protocols in addition to IP may also be supported by this mechanism.

This mechanism has not been designed *for* WebTV-like applications. My own point
of view is that it brings a very interesting feature: it allow dynamic routing
over a unidirectional link.

Most UDLs are broadcast by nature, terrestrial and satellite DVB are very good
examples. They are nicely designed for carrying multicast traffic. I strongly
believe that the first widely deployed applications using the LLTM will be based
on multicast. Feed and receivers will be configured as multicast routers,
receivers would then route, in standard way (see routing protocols), multicast
traffic to subnetworks.

Anyway, the LLTM handles IP and layer 2 protocols, the range of applications is
potentially large.

Emmanuel
--
UDcast: Where IP and UniDirectional links meet      http://www.UDcast.com