Dynamic binding

Dear Mocanese,

I would like to introduce a discussion topic: the issue of dynamic
binding in mobile calculi.

I don't propose to reopen all philosophical old arguments about dynamic
binding, but there are some quite focussed technical questions involved.
In mobile code dynamic binding is a reality, in associated higher-order
formalisms like HO-pi it is most often absent. Now, supposing that the
dynamic binding should be formally modelled, what is the best way to do
it? Would you encode it or use some new primitve for it, if so how and
what?

My reson for introducing this at this time is that my student Jose Vivas
recently finished his PhD thesis on dynamic binding in mobile calculi.
Personally I have always been a hardliner in favour of static binding
but Jose has managed to convince me to be more open-minded. But dynamic
binding seems still very little discussed among theoreticians, so it
would be interesting to hear what you all think.

Jose's thesis can be found at

http://www.it.kth.se/~josev/thesis.html

Joachim Parrow