Re: Dynamic binding

Dear Colleagues,

I am new in this forum so hello everybody.

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Joachim Parrow wrote:
> Dear Mocanese,
>
> I would like to introduce a discussion topic: the issue of dynamic
> binding in mobile calculi.
>
> I don't propose to reopen all philosophical old arguments about dynamic
> binding, but there are some quite focussed technical questions involved.
> In mobile code dynamic binding is a reality, in associated higher-order
> formalisms like HO-pi it is most often absent. Now, supposing that the
> dynamic binding should be formally modelled, what is the best way to do
> it? Would you encode it or use some new primitve for it, if so how and
> what?

Just a little thought:

In so far as we are talking about higher-order processes,
HO\pi is an example of a formalism that allows one to send abstractions
over names. These (formal) names can be bound to local
names; the effect is that a formalism with static scoping and name
abstraction can model what might be considered dynamic binding in practical
terms, at least to a certain degree. A precondition is that one knows what
names are to be bound to local names or, in other words, the interface of
the mobile entity must be known. This situation, however, seems to prevail
in many practical circumstances.

  Michael Baldamus