I am a full-time Research Scientist (CRCN, equivalent to Associate Professor) at
Inria Sophia Antipolis,
I take an inter-disciplinary approach combining computer science and law. I am interested in a wide range of privacy problems including
- Studying legal GDPR and ePrivacy requirements for web tracking and consent
- Detecting new web tracking technologies
- Measuring web privacy in large scale experiments
- Detecting privacy vulnerabilities in Web browsers and websites
- Informing policy makers of gaps between law and technology
See more information and motivational "About" page on my LinkedIn page
- Are cookie banners indeed compliant with the law? Deciphering EU legal requirements on consent and technical means to verify compliance of cookie banners.
Cristiana Santos, Nataliia Bielova and Célestin Matte.
Accepted for publication at International Journal on Technology and Regulation, 2020.
- On Compliance of Cookie Purposes with the Purpose Specification Principle
Imane Fouad, Cristiana Santos, Feras Al Kassar, Nataliia Bielova and Stefano Calzavara
International Workshop on Privacy Engineering (IWPE 2020) [Video]
- Purposes in IAB Europe’s TCF: which legal basis and how are they used by advertisers?
Célestin Matte, Cristiana Santos, Nataliia Bielova.
Annual Privacy Forum (APF 2020).
- Do Cookie Banners Respect my Choice? Measuring Legal Compliance of Banners from IAB Europe’s Transparency and Consent Framework
Célestin Matte, Nataliia Bielova, Cristiana Santos.
IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (IEEE S&P 2020). [Video]
Impact: NOYB issued a complaint to the CNIL using our results and our browser extension.
Selected media coverage: Lemonde.fr, Businessinsider.fr, Nextinpact.com
- Missed by Filter Lists: Detecting Unknown Third-Party Trackers with Invisible Pixels
Imane Fouad, Nataliia Bielova, Arnaud Legout, Natasa Sarafijanovic-Djukic.
Privacy Enhancing Technologies (PoPETS 2020) [Video].
- Browser Fingerprinting: A survey.
Pierre Laperdrix, Nataliia Bielova, Benoit Baudry and Gildas Avoine.
ACM Transactions on the Web ( ACM TWEB), 2020.
- ... full list of publications
Current research projects
Program Committee member
- IEEE S&P (Oakland) 2021, IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy.
- PETs 2021, Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium.
- MADWeb 2021, Workshop on Measurements, Attacks, and Defenses for the Web.
- TheWeb 2020, Security and Privacy Track of TheWeb Conference.
- PETs 2020, Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium.
- PETs 2019, Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium.
- IEEE SecDev 2019, IEEE Secure Development Conference.
- IEEE EuroS&P 2019, IEEE European Symposium on Security and Privacy.
- MADWeb 2019, NDSS Workshop on Measurements, Attacks, and Defenses for the Web.
- ... full list of service
Last updated November 2020.