I am a tenured Research Scientist (CR1, equivalent to tenured Associate Professor)
in computer science at
Inria Sophia Antipolis,
My research area is Online Privacy, where I currently take an inter-disciplinary
approach combining my computer science knowledge and collaborating with scholars in law
and design. I am particularly interested in Web Tracking technologies and Online consent both
from technical, legal (GDPR, ePrivacy) and design points of view.
My interests include:
- Studying legal GDPR and ePrivacy requirements for web tracking and consent
- Detecting new web tracking technologies
- Measuring web privacy in large scale experiments
- Detecting privacy vulnerabilities in Web browsers and websites
- Informing policy makers of gaps between law and technology
See more information and motivational "About" page on my LinkedIn page
- Consent Management Platforms under the GDPR: processors and/or controllers?
Cristiana Santos, Midas Nouwens, Michael Toth, Nataliia Bielova, Vincent Roca.
Annual Privacy Forum (APF 2021), 9% acceptance rate.
- Dark Patterns and the Legal Requirements ofConsent Banners: An Interaction Criticism Perspective
Colin M. Gray, Cristiana Santos, Nataliia Bielova, Michael Toth, Damian Clifford.
ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (ACM CHI 2021)
Best of CHI Honorable Mention.
- Do Cookie Banners Respect my Choice? Measuring Legal Compliance of Banners from IAB Europe’s Transparency and Consent Framework
Célestin Matte, Nataliia Bielova, Cristiana Santos.
IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (IEEE S&P 2020). [Video]
Impact: NOYB issued a complaint to the CNIL using our results and our browser extension.
Selected media coverage: Lemonde.fr, Businessinsider.fr, Nextinpact.com
- Are cookie banners indeed compliant with the law? Deciphering EU legal requirements on consent and technical means to verify compliance of cookie banners.
Cristiana Santos, Nataliia Bielova and Célestin Matte.
International Journal on Technology and Regulation (TechReg), 2020.
- Missed by Filter Lists: Detecting Unknown Third-Party Trackers with Invisible Pixels
Imane Fouad, Nataliia Bielova, Arnaud Legout, Natasa Sarafijanovic-Djukic.
Privacy Enhancing Technologies (PoPETS 2020). [Video]
- Browser Fingerprinting: A survey.
Pierre Laperdrix, Nataliia Bielova, Benoit Baudry and Gildas Avoine.
ACM Transactions on the Web ( ACM TWEB), 2020.
- ... full list of publications
Current research projects
Program Committee member
- IEEE S&P (Oakland) 2021, IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy.
- PETs 2021, Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium.
- ConPro 2021, Workshop on Technology and Consumer Protection.
- MADWeb 2021, Workshop on Measurements, Attacks, and Defenses for the Web.
- TheWeb 2020, Security and Privacy Track of TheWeb Conference.
- PETs 2020, Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium.
- PETs 2019, Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium.
- IEEE SecDev 2019, IEEE Secure Development Conference.
- IEEE EuroS&P 2019, IEEE European Symposium on Security and Privacy.
- MADWeb 2019, NDSS Workshop on Measurements, Attacks, and Defenses for the Web.
- ... full list of service
Last updated November 2020.