Re: DVB & all (Re: ipsat BoF)

Joel Halpern wrote:
>Keep in mind that the general idea was to solve a simple problem first,
>and then worry about more complex issues.  When we have the simple
>satellite with multi-hop backchannel solved, we can look at more complex
>ones.  If we insist on solving all the worlds problems at once, we should
>just stop completely.

We have the following satellite topology with our Skyplex onboard
multiplexing:
A number of udl feeds transmit their packets to
the same satellite transponder which, with onboard processing,
concentrates the uplink streams into a single downlink stream.

I would like to see a routing mechanism which allows a udl receiver to
specify a
route so that the last hop to it must transit through any of a given
set of udl feeds (dynamically detected by the receiver). The selected
udl feed should preferably result in the best throughput,
heuristically, the closest to the server being queried.

I would like also to know whether it makes sense to have, assuming
the udl receiver is the end point of a TCP connection, a kind
of TCP relay whereby on the satellite hop the TCP parameters may be
different (e.g. larger window, no slow start...) from that the of the path
from the server to the udl feed.

I do not know whether this is complex or trivial but if there is a BoF
in Chicago as requested by Walid, I can make a presentation
of our Skyplex system.

Regards,

Nghia PHAM      npham@eutelsat.fr , nghia_pham@compuserve.com
Digital Systems Division
EUTELSAT - European Telecommunication Satellites Organisation
(www.eutelsat.org)