Re: [moca] Locality and Name Matching in pi-calculus

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Reza Ziaei wrote:

> What I am looking for right now, is some "practical examples"
> or "concrete scenarios" where this theory of locality and
> restricted name matching can be *applied* to say something
> useful. One possibility I was considering, and that has been

For my PhD I extended the pi-calculus with a notion of local areas of
communication.  In the last chapter I developed an extended model of
Network Address Translation running over TCP/IP and used it to examine now
FTP might fail when used with NAT. Locality plays a key role in this
communication model as NAT IP addresses are "local" to there network, port
numbers are "local"  to their host, etc.

I hope this would fit your definition of "practical examples" or "concrete
scenarios" where locality has something to say. I'm currently in the
process of shoe horning this into the model checker Spin, which I hope
would make it useful.

My thesis is here: http://guinness.cs.stevens-tech.edu/~tomc/docs/thesisM.ps,
and the appendix here http://guinness.cs.stevens-tech.edu/~tomc/docs/thesisA.ps

Tom

P.S. if anyone knows how to join two ps files with different page formats,
I'd very much like to know (psmerge just crashes).