[moca] Paper on the expressivity of pi-calculus

Dear all,

we would like to announce the following paper which will appear
in the Proceedings of EXPRESS'02.

The paper is available online at
http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~maffeis/polysynch.pdf
and was originated also from the lively e-discussion on dynamic binding
held on this list a while ago.

Title: On the Expressive Power of Polyadic Synchronisation in pi-calculus.
Authors: Marco Carbone and Sergio Maffeis

Abstract:
We extend the pi-calculus with _polyadic synchronisation_,
a generalisation of the communication mechanism which allows
channel names to be composite. We show that this operator embeds
nicely in the theory of pi-calculus, and makes it possible to
derive divergence-free encodings of distributed calculi. We give a
separation result between the pi-calculus with polyadic
synchronisation (^e\pi) and the original calculus, in the style
of an analogous result given by Palamidessi for mixed choice. We
encode Local Area pi showing how to control the local use of
resources in ^e\pi.

Best Regards,
  Sergio Maffeis.