Cryptyc papers

We are pleased to announce the availability of the first two technical
reports from the Cryptyc project:

* A.D. Gordon and A.S.A. Jeffrey: Authenticity by Typing for Security Protocols.

* A.D. Gordon and A.S.A. Jeffrey: Typing Correspondence Assertions for Communication Protocols.

These papers use a type-and-effect system to statically verify authenticity properties of communication protocols expressed in the spi-calculus, and the pi-calculus respectively.

The papers are available from:

   http://cryptyc.cs.depaul.edu/papers.html

   http://research.microsoft.com/~adg/Publications/

A proof-of-concept implementation of the type system, together with its use on a number of cryptographic protocols, is available at:

   http://cryptyc.cs.depaul.edu/

The abstracts are attached.

Andrew D. Gordon and Alan Jeffrey

--

A.D. Gordon and A.S.A. Jeffrey: Authenticity by typing for security protocols. Technical Report MSR-TR-2000-49, Microsoft Research, conference version to appear in Proc. IEEE Computer Security Foundations Workshop, 2001.

We propose a new method to check authenticity properties of cryptographic protocols. First, code up the protocol in the spi-calculus of Abadi and Gordon. Second, specify authenticity properties by annotating the code with correspondence assertions in the style of Woo and Lam. Third, figure out types for the keys, nonces, and messages of the protocol. Fourth, check that the spi-calculus code is well-typed according to a novel type and effect system presented in this paper. Our main theorem guarantees that any well-typed protocol is robustly safe, that is, its correspondence assertions are true in the presence of any opponent expressible in spi. It is feasible to apply this method by hand to several well-known cryptographic protocols. It requires little human effort per protocol, puts no bound on the size of the opponent, and requires no state space enumeration. Moreover, the types for protocol data provide some intuitive explanation of how the protocol works. This paper describes our method and gives some simple examples. Our method has led us to the independent rediscovery of flaws in existing protocols and to the design of improved protocols.

--

A.D. Gordon and A.S.A. Jeffrey: Typing correspondence assertions for communication protocols. Technical Report MSR-TR-2000-48, Microsoft Research, conference version to appear in Proc. Mathematical Foundations of Programming Semantics, 2001.

Woo and Lam propose correspondence assertions for specifying authenticity properties of security protocols. The only prior work on checking correspondence assertions depends on model-checking and is limited to finite-state systems. We propose a dependent type and effect system for checking correspondence assertions. Since it is based on type-checking, our method is not limited to finite-state systems. This paper presents our system in the simple and general setting of the pi-calculus. We show how to type-check correctness properties of example communication protocols based on secure channels.