Re: New GRE Draft Extensions

Re:  Key and Sequence Number Extensions to GRE

The proposed use of two previously-reserved header bits
in  draft-dommety-gre-ext-00.txt
differ in a fundamental way.

The proposed use of a reserved bit as a
"Sequence Number Present" bit is a
potentially-beneficial modifier
on encapsulator/decapsulator behavior and therefore
seems to me to be advisable or at least not inadvisable.

The proposed use of a reserved bit as a
"Key Present" bit does not affect (narrowly construed)
encapsulator/decapsulator behavior but rather
concerns the processor of the encapsulated or decapsulated
data.  This proposal seems to me to be inadvisable.

Acceptance of the "Key Present" proposal unnecessarily
encumbers some other
processor of encapsulated or decapsulated data
which might like to have an optional extra 32 bits for some purpose
where the terms "Key and "sub-tunnel" would be
confusing and inappropriate.

   -Fred Chase