Re: IPSAT BoF meeting summary

Walid;

> The ipsat BoF was held on Thursday 27th, 13h00-14h50. The goal was to
> discuss issues related to the support of IP over satellite links. One of
> the main topics discussed was the IP over DVB encapsulation mechanism
> developed by the DVB and which will become an ETSI standard. A
> presentation from NTTSC and other participants from the room asked for a
> change in this standard. However, there was no evidence that the lack of
> a MAC source address cannot be solved by other means (filtering at IP
> level). Further discussion on the topic is needed and will be conducted
> on the ipsat@sophia.inria.fr mailing list. Harry Hakulinen from Nokia
> will contact the ETSI people to discuss this issue with them.

As poited out by Fujisawa san during the BoF, it is a violation of
STD5, RFC1112:

:7.3. Extensions to the Local Network Service Interface

:   The local network module must not deliver up any multicast packets
:   that were transmitted from that module; loopback of multicasts is
:   handled at the IP layer or higher.

to expect filtering at the IP layer or higher.

> Further actions concerning this BoF will depend on the discussion on the
> mailing list. If no work item relevant to IETF is identified, no action
> will be taken.

I think we must modify either the DVB encapsulation or STD5.

							Masataka Ohta