Re: Difference between INRIA and WIDE idea

From: izu@jcsat.co.jp
Subject: Re: Difference between INRIA and WIDE idea
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 14:32:44 +0900

izu> >1. The tunnel among the feeds
izu> > I would like to go back to the definition of a feed: A router connected
izu> > to an unidirectional link through a send-only interface.
izu> >
izu> > If the UDL is a broadcast satelite link, a feed is capable of receiving
izu> > data from the link. The up-link (dish + transmission equipment) also
izu> > allows the reception of data from the link via the same dish, it can
izu> > behave as a receiver.
izu> >
izu> > I am wondering if a sat link is a particular case of UDL with feeds
izu> > beeing capable of receiving data ?
izu>
izu> I don't think so.
izu> Some satellite transmitter have only Send Only Interface(SOI).
izu> They do not have receiver capability.
izu> Feeds can send the packet to UDL but can not receive the
izu> packet from UDL.

We have studied UDLR under following definitions.

	UDLR: A zero return bandwidth link, e.g. a satellite link with
	a receive only hardware.

	Feed: A router connected to an unidirectional link through a
	send-only interface.

	Receiver: A router connected to an unidirectional link through a
        receive-only interface.

We think this is the base line of UDLR-WG.

We've discussed about the station which have both receive and transmit
capability(we call such a station as "Transceiver".)  We don't deny to
include Transceivers to the UDLR network model. We know that in some
case we will be happy if the Feed has a capability that receiving data
from UDL. But, we have to consider the model which consist of only
Feeds and Receivers, even if we include Transceivers. That means if we
include Transceivers, the network will be more complex than original
one. So, we decided to make a model without Transceiver. And we
thought Transceiver can be seen as a Feed and a Receiver. This is our
opinion about receive capability for Feeds.

---
Jun Takei@WIDE