Re: Questions about tunneling proposals

>The IETF is working to establish a single tunnelling protocol for
>IP data.  It would seem that this group, if we are using tunnelling,
>should consider using the same protocols.
>What do others think?

This would seem to be a good idea to me:

(1) don't have to re-invent the wheel
(2) take advantage of other facilities incorporated into the standard
    tunnelling protocol, such as security, header compression, etc.

Questions:

What is the status of the tunnelling protocol work?  Is there a pointer
to any drafts?

Is there a framework in place for composing additional profiles within the
standard tunnel protocol?  I'm thinking of filters, bandwidth or rate
limiters, or other application-specific specialization of the generic tunnel
service.

--Steve