RE: DVB, DAVIC and MPEG stuff

>In montreal I promised to make some kind of informational RFC about >DVB's "IP encapsulation over MPEG TS" -method. That plan is still valid, >but some clarifications are needed concerning current DVB actions.

Thanks for the excellent summary. Is there a way to get the latest drafts online from somewhere, like from an ftp site ? Up-to-date DAB and MPEG standards seem to be harder to get here.

>In MPEG TS addressing is based on PID, Table_ID and Table_ID_extension
>fields. Those can be used as hardware filtering parameters in most
>DEMUX-chicps in STB-like devices. And hardware filtering is desirable,
>because the stream speed is usually about 40 Mbits.

The rationale for hardware demux is obvious, but I wonder why we could not use standard IP security mechanisms in higher layers for access control. In final instance, that key in the browser comes for free. Would appreciate any comments.

>I continue with unidirectional link case tomorrow, because it seems that
>today its almoust first sunny day in Finland in this summer ...

We had 105 degrees in Dallas. Good place for DBS reception most of the time...

Henry