This forum.

Dear colleagues,

Since I could not present my idea on the original message
by Davide on the mobility mailing list, I feel like writing
a few observations on the possibility of this forum briefly.

Mobility is a term which is broad in meaning. One idea is
a dynamic change in communication topology by interaction,
as realised by name passing. We have witnessed, through the
past decade, that this simple idea leads to an unimaginably rich
representation power. Other notions of mobility exist,
which are addressed by various calculi and which are also
fundamental in computing.

The study of name passing already suggests mobility is
not only of practical interest but also pertains to our
foundational inquiry into models of computing: to the
representation and study of computing in general. We find
significance of the idea both in the real world and
in basic theories. An intriguing combination...

Why so? Well let me not try to give an answer too early: we
have just started, after all. I'd rather like to note that
#the foregoing findings strongly suggest the exploration of
this concept -- in some way or other -- is a promising and
worthwhile enterprise, whose richness looks almost
unbounded. We shall have convergence of various ideas by
trying to capture mobility: we shall also have diverse
applications starting from basic theories.  Mobility
poses us new problems: trying to answer them often leads
to fruitful results, expected and unexpected.  So let's
have a lot of good constructions and theorems, and, for
that purpose, let's use this forum for having many active
discussions, obtaining seeds for new ideas and
complementing our understanding by informal interaction.

Best wishes,

kohei