Questions on Centaur

Dear Colleagues,

we have some problems with Centaur 1.2 that we purchased from you.
Some help from you would be greatly appreciated.

We would like Centaur to generate an editor for a specific language.
Is it possible for this editor to be stand-alone as an executable
program? It should behave like any texteditor but with an integrated
syntax-checker and a pretty-printer. That means that you can directly
type in the editor's window and e.g. start parsing and pretty-printing
at the end of each line.

Is Centaur able to meet this requirement?

We used the "ctedit" and later on the "ASF+SDF" system. We found out
that there is no direct editing in the "ctedit". In the ASF+SDF system
(GSE) we couldn't make an editor as an executable program and we couldn't
find out, how to add a ppml-specification for pretty-printing. Can you
help us with this problem?

Also, is Centaur able to complete a syntactical structure like for instance
a 'begin/end'; i.e. if 'begin' has been typed then 'end' should automatically
be added and the user should go on typing in the space in between?

Another question we have is: does Centaur allow for context-sensitive
information. For instance, is it possible to check that a variable used
somewhere in a program has been declared previously?

Perhaps there are already examples of structured editors being built
with Centaur. It would be helpful to get any examples of Centaur
applications. Surprisingly, the pico specification wasn't shippped with
the rest of the system.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,

  Marcus Rotzoll

Marcus Rotzoll

FZI - Forschungszentrum Informatik Karlsruhe
(Research Centre for Computer Science, Karlsruhe)
Software Engineering Department
                                          e-mail: rotzoll@fzi.de
Haid-und-Neu-Strasse 10-14                phone:  (+49) 721 9654 617
D-76131 Karlsruhe                         fax:    (+49) 721 9654 609