Re: Memory Usage

Memory consumption is a pin in the neck when executing Typol programs in
Prolog, in particular with the debug mode.

The next distribution will include a "once(<sequent>)" pragma that will
force Prolog to forget a subproof. The implementation is clause to what
Laurent said but will check that there is no delayed goals in the
subproof (although this test is time consuming with MU-Prolog).

We will try to improve the system soon replacing MU-Prolog by Sepia.
Sepia is a compiled Prolog with memory management. It will run
in a separate process, so it will be very easy to adjust its size.
However, even with Sepia the debug mode will need a large amount
of memory since it creates additional choice points, and garbage
collection can occurs only where choice points are suppressed.

--
Send contributions and compliments to centaur@sophia.inria.fr. Registration
and administrative matters should be sent to centaur-request@sophia.inria.fr.