Tropics News Archive
- December 2009: Laurent Hascoet is on the PhD jury for Thomas Migliore, who used Tapenade
to build the adjoint of a transport simulator for ANDRA, the French agency for nuclear waste.
- November 2009: We organize the
9th European Workshop on Automatic Differentiation here at INRIA Sophia-Antipolis.
- November 2009: ERCOFTAC meeting in Berlin, Germany. Slides
- October 2009: We welcome Hubert Alcin, new PhD student in the Tropics team.
- September 2009: Francesco Ghini, from University of Pisa Italy, joins the team on a 4-months internship.
- August 2009: Karim Hossen visits Andrea Walther's team in Paderborn, Germany,
to discuss development of the front-end for Adol-C under Tapenade.
- July 2009: Laurent Hascoet presents Karim Hossen's work on "Tapenade as
a front-end for Adol-C" at the
8th European Workshop on Automatic Differentiation in Oxford, UK.
- June 2009: A 10-days joint work session (Jean Utke, Uwe Naumann, and Laurent Hascoet)
in Aachen, Germany.
- May 2009: Laurent Hascoet presents common work with Jean Utke and Uwe Naumann on
adjoint differentiation of MPI, at PDSEC'09 workshop,
a part of IPDPS'09 conference in Rome, Italy.
- April 2009: Karim Hossen, student from the polytech of University of Nice, joins the team for a 6-months internship. He will work on a connection between Tapenade and ADOL-C.
- April 2009: Is Bunyamin Suryo, student from University of Nice, joins the team for a 3-months internship.
- March 2009: Alain Dervieux makes
a very complete presentation
of the team's work on uncertainties at the 44th AAAF meeting in Nantes, France.
- March 2009: We present the work of our team for the last four years,
for our regular INRIA evaluation in Paris, March 17-19. See our report
- December 2008: Laurent Hascoet makes a presentation on the use of A.D. tools for data assimilation at the Colloque National sur l'Assimilation de Donnees in Paris, december 1st and 2nd.
- November 2008: We present the team's participation to the European strep project NODESIM at a meeting in Barcelona, Spain.
- November 2008: The 7th European Workshop on Automatic Differentiation is hosted by Mike Giles in Oxford, UK, on the 24th and 25th. Emphasis is on Applications and Challenges in Economics and Finance.
- September 2008: Bruno Koobus, external collaborator of Tropics, defends his habilitation thesis in Montpellier on Contribution a la simulation numerique d'ecoulements compressibles en maillages fixes et dynamiques.
- September 2008: We welcome Anca Belme, new PhD student in the Tropics team.
- August 2008: We release new version 3 (alpha) of Tapenade, that handles C programs.
- August 2008: Valerie Pascual, Massimiliano Martinelli, and Laurent Hascoet present the team work on Tapenade for C and second derivatives at the 5th International Conference on Automatic Differentiation in Bonn, Germany.
- July 2008: Frederic Alauzet (Team GAMMA) summarizes the contribution of teams GAMMA, SMASH, and TROPICS to the European Integrated project HISAC, during the ECCOMAS conference in Venezzia, Italy.
- July 2008: Laurent Hascoet makes a presentation on Tapenade and A.D. by program transformation at a minisymposium at the SIAM annual meeting in San Diego, California.
- June 2008: Alain Dervieux spends a week visiting Prof. Charbel Farhat in Stanford, California. Prof. Farhat's institute collaborates with University of Montpellier, the Lemma company, and the TROPICS team to simulate turbulent flows with or without fluid/structure coupling.
- May 2008:We present the team's participation to the European strep project NODESIM at a meeting in Farnborough, UK.
- February 2008:We make a presentation of A.D. at the Sophia-Antipolis
meeting of the OMD (Optimisation Multi-Disciplinaire) project (ANR/RNTL).
- December 2007: Massimiliano Martinelli defends his PhD in Pisa, Italy,
on December 7th.
- November 2007: Alain Dervieux organizes the NODESIM project meeting at
INRIA Sophia-Antipolis. A training course on Automatic Differentiation with TAPENADE is
- November 2007: Alain Dervieux and Massimiliano Martinelli present their work
at the West-East High Speed
Flow Field Conference 2007
in Moscow, Russia.
Presentation #1 (mesh adaption),
Presentation #2 (LES-VMS),
Presentation #3 (POD),
Presentation #4 (AD),
- November 2007: The 6th European Workshop
on Automatic Differentiation
takes place at INRIA Sophia-Antipolis on November 15th and 16th.
Locally organized by Tropics. 35 participants and 18 presentations for
a workshop focused on AD applications to Earth Sciences.
One presentation by Massimiliano Martinelli, and one by Hicham Tber, coming
specially from his new research team in Graz, Austria.
- September 2007: A two weeks get-together at ANL Argonne, Chicago USA, for
Uwe Naumann, Jean Utke, Paul Hovland and Laurent Hascoet.
- July 2007: Benjamin Dauvergne presents Tapenade and his research at the AD minisymposium of the ICIAM'07
conference in Zurich, Switzerland.
- May 2007: The 5th European Workshop on
takes place in Hatfield, UK.
- April 2007: Benjamin Dauvergne spends one month in Aachen, Germany, working
with Uwe Naumann and his STCE group
on the complexity of the search for the optimal checkpointing placement
on an arbitrary call tree.
- April 2007: Laurent Hascoet gives an introductory lecture on Automatic
Differentiation at the ERCOFTAC course organized in Trieste, Italy.
- April 2007: Laurent Hascoet attends the kick-off meeting of the EVA-Flo
"ANR" research project, on the subject of control of truncation and approximation
errors in floating-point computations.
- April 2007: Massimiliano Martinelli and Laurent Hascoet present their work
at the EUCCO'07
conference in Montpellier.
- March 2007: Hicham Tber presents the adjoint of the oceanography code
OPA/NEMO, which he constructed using TAPENADE, to the LEFE meeting in Grenoble.
- March 2007: Alain Dervieux co-organizes with the Opale INRIA team the
42nd "Colloque d'Aérodynamique Appliquée, Couplages et optimisation Multidisciplinaires"
- December 2006: 4th European workshop on AD in Aachen, Germany.
- November 2006: Alain Dervieux co-organizes with the Opale INRIA team the French Indian Workshop on Numerical Simulation and design for Aeronautical and Space Applications, in Sophia-Antipolis, followup to previous year's SAROD workshop.
- November 2006: Mauricio Araya defends his PhD, friday, November 24th, on approaches to assess validity of derivatives and to improve efficiency in Automatic Differentiation of programs".
- September 2006: Mauricio Araya presents his work on enabling user-driven checkpointing in TAPENADE at the ECCOMAS'2006 CFD conference, Egmond aan Zee, The Netherlands.
- June 2006: Release of the version 2.2 of TAPENADE, including a more complete handling of Fortran 95, a pointer analysis, and introducing a fine-grain user control on checkpointing.
- June 2006: Benjamin Dauvergne attends the 3rd European workshop on AD in Oxford, UK.
- May 2006: Laurent Hascoet presents our team's results on the Data-Flow Equations of
Checkpointing at ICCS 2006 in Reading, UK.
- May 2006: Laurent Hascoet gives an invited talk to present our results with IFREMER on AD applied to Oceanography
at the Colloque National sur l'Assimilation de Donnees in Toulouse.
- May 2006: Prof. Mike Giles from Oxford visits us and initiates exchanges with the Omega INRIA team about AD for and financial Stochastic Monte-carlo computations.
- March 2006: The Tropics team organizes the 1st workshop of the EU project HISAC,
jointly with Dassault and the Gamma INRIA team.
- March 2006: Laurent Hascoet presents AD and Tapenade at the International Conference on High Performance Scientific Computing HPSC 2006 in Hanoi, Vietnam.
- March 2006: Alain dervieux is the co-author of a lecture on optimization and multidisciplinary design, given by Antoine Desideri
from the Opale INRIA team, at the Von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics in Brussels, Belgium.
- February 2006: The NODESIM "Streps" Europe an project is accepted for negociations.
Tropics participates in NODESIM for the AD required to build simplified models for uncertainty analysis.
- December 2005: Alain Dervieux gives two talks on applications of AD for optimum design and mesh optimization at the SAROD Indian-French conference,
one in Bangalore, and one in Hyderabad, India.
- November 2005: Laurent Hascoet presents the team's results on Data-Flow equations
of Checkpointing at the 2nd European workshop on AD in Cranfield UK.
- August 2005: Alain Dervieux receives the "Marcel Dassault" grand prix
from the French Academy of Sciences.
- July 2005: Laurent Hascoet gives two lectures on AD at the
"CEA-EDF-INRIA" ecole d'ete
on numerical analysis. june 27th till july 8th.
Here's the poster.
- May 2005: Mauricio Araya presents his work on the domain of validity
of AD derivatives at the WSEAS conference in Cancun, Mexico.
Mauricio won the best student paper award! Here are his
- April 2005: Tropics co-organizes the next
European workshop on Automatic Differentiation,
held in Nice on april 14 and 15.
- April 2005: Laurent Hascoet gives a lecture on AD at the ERCOFTAC
"Introductory Course to Design Optimisation", april 6-8, in Manchester, UK.
- March 2005: Tropics team is evaluated on 30-31 (again this year because
team numbering has changed !)
- January 2005: Laurent Hascoet defends a
"Habilitation a Diriger des Recherches" (HDR) at the University
of Nice Sophia-Antipolis on january 28th. See the
full text of the report (in English),
a summary (in French), and
- January 2005: Mauricio Araya gives a talk about his
research work on the domain of validity of AD derivatives, at the
VII French-Latin American Congress on Applied Mathematics. January 14 - 18,
- January 2005: Release of the version 2.1 of TAPENADE,
- December 2004: Benjamin Dauvergne attends a
organized by Andreas Griewank at HU Berlin on
Agebraic Complexity Theory and algorithmic Differentiation.
- November 2004: Laurent Hascoet gives an afternoon lecture on
AD at the optimization short course before the
CARI conference in Hamamet Tunisia (Novembre 22-25).
- November 2004: Laurent Hascoet presents the Fortran95-related
questions in the development of Tapenade at the AD UK Workshop in Hatfield UK.
- October 2004: Benjamin Dauvergne joins the team as a PhD student.
- July 2004: The TROPICS team is taking part in two minisymposia at the
4th European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering,
on july 24-28 in Jyvaskyla, Finland, about "Software Concepts and Free Software for PDEs"
and "Automatic Differentiation, Tools and Applications".
- July 2004: The TROPICS team makes three presentations during AD 2004 in Chicago, Illinois. One talk about the new Fortran9X version of
Tapenade, one about a formalization of static analyses for reverse AD, and one about an attempt
to fuse the Recompute-All and the Store-All approaches of reverse AD.
- March 2004: Benjamin Dauvergne, from universite de Marseille-II, joins the team for 3 months. He will be studying
specific Data-Flow analyses for adjoint programs.
- March 2004: The Tropics team gets evaluated (like any INRIA team every 4th year).
Our referees are Francois Irigoin, Craig Lee, and Mohamed Masmoudi.
- January 2004: Tristan Roy joins the team as a PhD student.
- January 2004: Francois Courty joins Charbel Farhat's team at university of Colorado at Boulder.
- November 2003: Francois Courty defends his PhD on the 26th in Orsay, France.
- September 2003: We present an application of TAPENADE during the
DMV annual meeting in Rostock, Germany.
- June 2003: Two presentations during the
AD WORKSHOP 5th/6th June 2003 at Cranfield University, Shrivenham, UK.
- May 2003: We present our results on
AD applied to Sonic Boom Reduction at the
ICCSA 2003 conference in Montréal Canada.
- April 2003: Small course on AD applied to Optimal Shape Design
in Aeronautics, with presentation of TAPENADE, at the
ERCOFTAC Course on
Design Optimization, April 1st-3rd, TU-Munich, Garching.
- March 2003: Mauricio Araya, together with other Chilean
students in INRIA, presents the current state of his PhD research to
Mr Rafael Correa, from CONICYT. This research is funded by a specific
agreement between CONICYT (Chile) and INRIA.
- February 2003: The TROPICS team is taking part in two minisymposia at the conference
"Applied Mathematics and Applications of Mathematics" (AMAM), on
"Optimal Shape Design in Aeronautics", and on
"Automatic Differentiation, Tools and Applications".
- January 2003: Demonstration of Tapenade during the
Rencontre Inria Industrie, january 16th, Rocquencourt.
- November 2002: Mauricio Araya, from Universidad de Chile, Santiago,
joins the team for 3 years. During his PhD, he will study the validity of derivatives computed by A.D.
in difficult cases, such as discontinuities coming from switches of the control flow.
- October 2002: The new release TAPENADE 2.0 is
See the improvements from the 1.0 alpha version,
use it, and send us your comments!
- October 2002: Francois Courty and Mariano Vazquez present their work
at workshop on optimization of PDE's,
in Heidelberg, Germany.
F. Courty: "Application of multilevel preconditioning to SQP algorithms"
M. Vazquez: "Gradient smoothness issues in supersonic aircraft design"
- Summer 2002: Jeremy Buisson, from INSA Rennes, joins
the team for 3 months, and will be studying pointer analysis in relation with A.D.
- June 2002: Alain Dervieux gives an invited talk on
"Hierarchical principles and preconditioning for optimum design and identification",
at the JP60 conference in Jyvaskyla, Finland.
- March 2002 : Presentation of Tapenade during the PNLA
school ("Data Assimilation for geophysics fluids") at INRIA Rocquencourt,
- March 2002 : Laurent HascoŽt presents A.D. by program
transformation with Tapenade at a one-day course, M. Masmoudi's
- February 2002 : Laurent HascoŽt gives a talk on A.D. and
TAPENADE to Charles Consel's Compose team and
fellow researchers of ENSEIRB in Bordeaux, France
- February 2002 : Francois Courty presents our work on optimization
at Aeroshape meeting in Capua, Italy.
- February 2002 : Tatyana K.Kozubskaya and Ilya Abalakin, from
the Institute of Mathematical Modeling, Moscow, Russia, join our team
for 3 and 1 months. They will work with Alain Dervieux on acoustics in
viscous compressible gases.
- January 2002 : Laurent HascoŽt presents the new A.D. engine
TAPENADE and our work on A.D. to Andreas Griewank
research team in Dresden, Germany.
- January 2002 : Mariano Vazquez, formerly at Dassault, joins
Tropics as a Post-Doc to work on supersonic flows.
- January 2002 : Our new A.D. engine, TAPENADE is now
available (alpha version). It is a Web server that interactively differentiates
FORTRAN programs, in forward and reverse mode.
- December 2001 : The book Automatic Differentiation of Algorithms:
From Simulation to Optimization is out! (Edited by Springer). Many thanks to
George Corliss, who carried out the long finalization work!
This is a selection of articles submitted to the
AD2000 conference in Nice.
- November 2001 : Laurent HascoŽt presents the new A.D. engine
TAPENADE and our work on A.D. to Chris Bischof and Martin Buecker
research team in Aachen, Germany.
- September 2001 : David Leservoisier makes his PhD dissertation on
"Strategies for mesh adaption and refinement in Computational Fluid Dynamics",
at Paris-VI university.
- August 2001 : Rose-Marie Greborio joins Tropics as a "specialist
engineer". She will participate in developments on the platform for program
analysis and on the A.D. tool on top of it, as well as tests and