RE: Broadcast IP Network Model Problem Statement

Clive-

Actually, I was first trying to just get a network model to work from for
carriage of any kind of IP on a multiplexed transport like MPEG.  [Maybe
this has been done before?]  Once that is done, then what is in the IP
packets (multicast or unicast addresses) I think can be defined using the
standard address rules (RFC's 1518, 1918, 2050, 2365, plus IPv6).

Then, the issue is how does one perform the function of ARP and IGMP.  One
possibility is simply broadcasting the appropriate reply messages on a
periodic basis.

I am not trying to tackle any routing issues (assume a single
unidirectional link).  And, I hope that no restrictions on what types of IP
packets are imposed by whatever solution(s) result, so that the transport
can be used to route arbitrary IP - multicast or unicast as desired.

	Mike

At 10:06 AM 4/27/99 +1000, Walmsley, Clive wrote:
>Michael,
>
>thanks for the article. I have the following comments and observations
>to make on your posting entitled 'Broadcast IP network model - Problem
>Statement' to the udlr WG.
>
>1) In previous posting to the group I rasied the question of :

>Uni-directional
>addressing
>operating over a
>
>I suspect that the question you raised and mine are similar. I had half
>hoped a reply indicating  the use of multicast IP addresses (is this the
>class D network addresses?) could be used.
>
>As I see it the biggest question I see is whether the work should
>provide a mechanism for a point to point IP network service over a
>broadcast media or whether it should try to adopt a point to multipoint
>solution. The thought of a multipoint to multipoint system makes me
>knees quiver!
>

>R/ Clive

Michael A. Dolan, Representing DIRECTV,  (619)445-9070
PO Box 1673 Alpine, CA 91903        FAX: (619)445-6122