IP in DVB (Re: minutes of the last udlr meeting)

EXT Walid Dabbous wrote:
> Here follows (two months later!) the minutes of our last meeting.
> Emmanuel will send the last version of the Informational RFC draft
> on the mailing list for comments.

Thanks .. ;)

> On the other hand, we talked last time about having a BoF meeting
> to discuss IP over satellite issues. I would like to ask for a slot
> during next meeting for this BoF. Any comments/input is welcome.

I support this idea, altought I am not sure yet, if I can attend
to next IETF meeting. But at least I am willing to do some work
for this, because this restricted scope is more relevant to us.

I have been preparing an informational RFC about IP over DVB,
that essentially describes "DVB multiprotocol encapsulation"
that is defined in

ETSI EN 301 192 "Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB);
  Specification for data broadcasting".

I hope that I could provide it as an input document for that BOF
(if it makes any sense). But first I have to check if ETSI
has something to say to this kind of effort (or not).

In order to have complete picture of that issue at the moment,
you have to be familiar also at least with:

ETSI EN 300 468: "Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB);
 Specification for Service Information (SI) in DVB systems"

ETSI ETR 162: "Digital broadcasting systems for television,
 sound and data services; Allocation of Service Information (SI)
 codes for Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB) systems"

ISO/IEC 13818-1: "Information technology - Generic coding of
 moving pictures and associated audio information -
 Part 1: Systems - International Standard"

ISO/IEC 13818-6: "Information Technology - Generic Coding of
 Moving Pictures and Associated Audio Information.
 Part 6: Extension for Digital Storage Media Command and
         Control (DSM-CC)"

And still moust things are completely unspecified at
the moment, e.g. how ARP shuld be done, if you have large
number of receivers (e.g. STB/NC/PC devices) and what is
efficient tunneling method for clients, that usuallly
have PPP based return channel.

I gues that business model of Satellite "ISP" affects
quite heavily to these decisions, but still there should
be one "open" way to use IP in emerging digital broacast
networks.

ps. don't forget, that DVB spec is also applicable at
    least in Terrestial, CATV (HFC) and MMDS networks.

--
Harri.Hakulinen              Networks for the next Millennium
@research.nokia.com            are already here: