IP tunneling I-D for UDLR-WG

Dear Internet-Draft editors,

I would like to submit an internet-draft attached to this mail.

This is the update version of my previous I-D.
I would like to use "draft-izumiyama-udlr-tunnel-01.txt"
as its filename.

Network Working Group                                   H.Izumiyama JSAT
Internet-Draft                                    H.Asaeda ITS/IBM-Japan
                                                            N.Fujii Sony
                                                            J.Takei JSAT
                                                        N.Demizu SonyCSL
                                                           November 1997

        An IP tunneling approach for Unidirectional Link routing
                  <draft-izumiyama-udlr-tunnel-01.txt>

Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft. Internet-Drafts are working
   documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas,
   and its working groups. Note that other groups may also distribute
   working documents as Internet-Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time. It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as ``work in progress.''

   To learn the current status of any Internet-Draft, please check the
   1id-abstracts.txt listing contained in the Internet-Drafts Shadow
   Directories on ftp.is.co.za (Africa), nic.nordu.net (Europe),
   munnari.oz.au (Pacific Rim), ds.internic.net (US East Coast), or
   ftp.isi.edu (US West Coast).

Abstract

    This document describes a mechanism to emulate bidirectional
    connectivity between nodes that are directly connected by a
    unidirectional link. The "receiver" uses a link layer tunneling
    mechanism to forward datagrams to "feeds" through a bidirectional
    network. This document based on the Internet Draft written by
    Emmanuel Duros[INRIA].

1. Introduction

   Internet routing and upper layer protocols assume that links are
   bidirectional, i.e. directly connected hosts can communicate with
   each other on the same link.

   This Internet Draft describes a link layer tunneling mechanism which
   allows nodes that are directly connected by an unidirectional link
   (feeds and receivers) to send datagrams as if they were connected to
   a bidirectional link. The document presents a generic topology with a
   tunneling mechanism that supports multiple feeds and receivers.

    The requirement of the tunneling mechanism is just carrying IP
    datagrams. So, this system employ any tunneling mechanism which can

H.Izumiyama                                                     [Page 1]

Internet-Draft      An IP tunneling approach for UDLR      November 1997

    carry IP datagram, e.g. IPonIP[IPIP], GRE[GRE], etc..

2. Terminology(c.f. [INRIA] Section 2)

    This document uses the words defined in [INRIA].

3. Topology(c.f. [INRIA] Section 3)

    This document uses the topology defined in [INRIA]. Figure 1 depicts
    a generic topology with several feeds and several receivers[INRIA].

                          Unidirectional Link

           ---->---------->------------------->------
           |          |              |           |
           |f1u       |f2u           |r2u        |r1u
      --------   --------        --------    --------   ----------
      |Feed 1|   |Feed 2|        |Recv 2|    |Recv 1|---|subnet A|
      --------   --------        --------    --------   ----------
           |f1b       |f2b           |r2b        |r1b      |
           |          |              |           |         |
          |                     Internet                     |

                       Figure 1: Generic topology

    Figure 2 shows the network topology seeing from above IP layer. The
    nodes connect to the one network segment which is a virtual segment
    called Yoke link. Yoke Link is a virtual bidirectional link consist
    of unidirectional link and tunnel link. This link act as a
    bidirectional broadcast network seeing from higher layer(network
    layer and above).

         Yoke Link(Broadcast network consist of UDL and Tunnel)
                 A           A            A           A
                 |           |            |           |
                 V           V            V           V
             +---+---+   +---+---+    +---+---+   +---+---+
             |Fdr 1  |...|Fdr 2  |    |Rcv 1  |...|Rcv n  |
             +-------+   +-------+    +-------+   +-------+

                           Figure 2 Yoke Link

4. Problems related to unidirectional links(c.f. [INRIA] Section 4)

    This document has same problems described in [INRIA].

5. Link Layer Tunneling Mechanism(c.f. [INRIA] Section 5)

    Figure 3 shows the protocol stack from physical layer to IP layer on

H.Izumiyama                                                     [Page 2]

Internet-Draft      An IP tunneling approach for UDLR      November 1997

    the Feed and the Receiver. This tunnel mechanism require special
    function in Datalink layer which provides the emulation of virtual
    interface(Yoke Interface).

                                    Feed       Receiver
              ------------       +---------+  +---------+
              IP Layer	         |   IP    |  |    IP   |
              ------------       +---------+  +---------+
              ------------       +---------+  +---------+
              Datalink           |Yoke     |  |Yoke     |
              Layer              |Interface|  |Interface|
                                 +---------+  +---------+
                                 |Broadcast|  |Broadcast|
                                 |Emulation|  |Emulation|
                                 +----+----+  +----+----+
                                 |SOI |TUN |  |ROI |TUN |
                                 |UDL |    |  |UDL |    |
              ------------       +----+----+  +----+----+
              ------------       +----+----+  +----+----+
              PHY                |PHY1|PHY2|  |PHY1|PHY2|
              ------------       +----+----+  +----+----+
                                Figure 3

    Yoke Interface(Broadcast type Interface)[YKI]: This layer works as a
         broadcast network interface(e.g. ethernet interface) seeing from
         IP layer.

    Broadcast Emulation[BCE]: This function is a part of link layer. The
        aim of this function is to provide broadcast network
        functionality for IP layer using UDL and TUN(tunnel).

    UDL: The interface which handles unidirectional link

    TUN: The interface which handles tunnel link and it has a part of
        upper layer(eg. IP layer) functions.

    Yoke Link has following characteristics;

     - Basically, Yoke Link provides broadcast network functions.

     - Except cases described below,
       Unicast packets will be delivered to the destination node.
       Broadcast and Multicast packets will be delivered to all nodes.
       (this memo does not preclude packet filtering under
        the membership control of multicast group using
        IGMP packet)
        - The any transit of unicast packets can go through the
          BDL directly without tunnel. So the cost of
          routing protocol must be set effectively in order to
          prevent the transit of unicast through the tunnel.
          If these transits of unicast packets try to go through the
	  tunnels , these packets SHOULD be filtered out,
          and ICMP destination unreachable (i.e. code=13)
          SHOULD be returned.

H.Izumiyama                                                     [Page 3]

Internet-Draft      An IP tunneling approach for UDLR      November 1997

        - Unicast routing protocol packets(e.g. RIP,RIP2,OSPF, etc.)
          from any receivers SHOULD NOT be forwarded to other
          receivers via UDL, but SHOULD be forwarded towards
          other Feeds via tunnels(if exists).

     - Packets MUST NOT be duplicated over Yoke Link.

5.1.Broadcast emulation(BCE) mechanism at the receiver

    This mechanism is similar to the tunneling mechanism at the receiver
    in [INRIA]. The major difference from [INRIA] is that a receiver is
    not need to set up the tunnel to all feeds. Normally a receiver
    sets up a tunnel to one of feeds.

    The BCE mechanism is inserted at the link layer on the receive-only
    interface. As a datagram is delivered to the link layer from the
    network layer, it is encapsulated.

    The datagram is encapsulated behind an IP packet whose destination
    is the IP address of a feed bidirectional interface (f1b or
    f2b). The mechanism for a receiver to learn these addresses is
    explained in Section 5.3.

    The new datagram is passed to the network layer, which forwards it
    according to its destination address. The destination address is a
    feed bidirectional interface which is reachable via the
    Internet. The datagram is then routed via a receiver bidirectional
    interface.

    We have to distinguish several cases as the datagram. Detail of this
    behavior describe in Appendix.1.

5.2.Broadcast emulation(BCE) mechanism at the feed

    This mechanism is similar to the tunneling mechanism at the feed
    in [INRIA]. The major difference from [INRIA] is that feeds set up
    the tunnel each other as mesh topology. Feeds can use these
    tunnels for communication among themselves.

    The feed listens incoming encapsulated datagrams on its tunnel
    end-point. A packet is received from the bidirectional interface,
    traverses the IP stack, and goes into a decapsulation process.

    The original datagram is decapsulated and passed to link layer
    driver of the feed unidirectional interface. As a result, the
    datagram is processed as if it was coming from the send-only
    interface.

    If the datagram is an IP packet, it is delivered to the feed
    network layer. Since the datagram was encapsulated, its IP header
    has not been modified by intermediate routers. To the network layer,
    the datagram appears as coming from the send-only interface.

    We have to distinguish several cases as the datagram. Detail of this

H.Izumiyama                                                     [Page 4]

Internet-Draft      An IP tunneling approach for UDLR      November 1997

    behavior describe in Appendix.1.

5.3.DTCP

    The main roles of our DTCP there are:

    - to notify the availability of a Feed to Receivers.
    - to exchange node information that is necessary to transfer packets
      through a UDL (e.g. MAC addresses of Receivers to forward unicast
      packets)
    - to establish and to release tunnels dynamically, including dynamic
      IP address allocation if necessary.

The detail function of DTCP is described in[DEMIZU].

6. Tunnel mechanism(c.f. [INRIA] Section 6)

    The requirement of the tunneling mechanism discussed on this
    document is just carrying IP datagrams. So, this system can employ
    any tunneling mechanism which can carry IP datagram(eg. IPonIP,
    GRE, etc.).

7. Address Resolution Protocol(c.f. [INRIA] Section 7)

    For receiver's hardware address resolution mechanism, periodical update
    of hardware address and IP address(ARP) table and sharing
    newest ARP table in feeders are provided by DTCP mechanism[DEMIZU].

    When the tunnel has been established between a Feed and a Receiver,
    the Feed knows the Receiver's hardware address in any time
    by DTCP mechanism.

    When a Feed loses the hardware address information of a Receiver
    accidentally and some nodes want to send packets via this Feed to the
    Receiver using UDL, the Feed has to know Receiver's hardware address
    by on-demand ARP mechanism.

    (1)It can only happens when the Feed goes down suddenly and comes up
       quickly. This is a rare case.

    (2)Even in this case, the Feed knows the Receiver's hardware
       address by DTCP mechanism in a bit period.

    Therefore, on-demand ARP mechanism is not required.

8. Issue(c.f. [INRIA] Section 8)
8.1. Routing Protocol

    The link layer tunneling mechanism hides from the network layer and
    above layers the fact that feeds and receivers are connected by an
    unidirectional link. Communication is bidirectional but asymmetric
    in path, bandwidths and delays. Because of using such a special link
    as a communication link, there are some requirements for setting up

H.Izumiyama                                                     [Page 5]

Internet-Draft      An IP tunneling approach for UDLR      November 1997

    dynamic routing protocol. Followings are the requirement.

    1) The cost of routing packets from receiver to feed MUST set
        high.
    2) The cost of routing packets from receiver to receiver MUST set
        high.
    3) The cost of routing packets from feed to feed MUST set high.

8.2. Scalability

    This Internet Draft consider that the system will be used with
    current routing protocol. These protocol assume that the number of
    routers which is the sum of feeds and receivers, are not so
    large(eg.100). In case of large number of feeds, it will probably
    discuss as a long term solution.

9. References

    [UDLR] Internet-Draft(work in progress)'A Link Layer Tunneling
           Mechanism for Unidirectional Links',Emmanuel Duros,INRIA
           Sophia-Antipolis,November 1997
    [GRE] RFC1701 'Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE)', S. Hanks, NetSmiths,
          Ltd., T. Li, D. Farinacci, P. Traina, cisco System, October
          1994

    [IPIP]  RFC2003 'IP Encapsulation within IP', C. Perkins IBM,
            October 1996

    [DEMIZU] Internet-Draft(work in progress)'Dynamic Tunnel
             Configuration Protocol',Noritoshi Demizu, Sony CSL,
             H.Izumiyama, JSAT, November 1997

Author's Address

    Hidetaka Izumiyama
    Japan Satellite Systems Inc.
    Toranomon 17 Mori Bldg.5F
    1-26-5 Toranomon, Minato-ku
    Tokyo 105 Japan
    voice:+81-3-5511-7568
    fax  :+81-3-5512-7181
    email:izu@jcsat.co.jp

    Hitoshi Asaeda
    Information Technology Solutions Co.,Ltd.
    IBM Japan Ltd.
    1623-14 Shimotsuruma, Yamato-shi
    Kanagawa-ken 242, Japan
    voice:+81-462-73-4542
    fax  :+81-462-72-6951
    email:asaeda@yamato.ibm.co.jp

    Noboru Fujii

H.Izumiyama                                                     [Page 6]

Internet-Draft      An IP tunneling approach for UDLR      November 1997

    Sony Corporation
    2-10-14, Osaki, Shinagawa-ku,
    Tokyo, 141 Japan
    voice:+81-3-3495-3092
    fax  :+81-3-3495-3527
    email:fujii@dct.sony.co.jp

    Jun Takei
    Japan Satellite Systems Inc.
    Toranomon 17 Mori Bldg.5F
    1-26-5 Toranomon, Minato-ku
    Tokyo 105 Japan
    voice:+81-3-5511-7638
    fax  :+81-3-5512-7181
    email:takei@jcsat.co.jp

    Noritoshi Demizu
    Sony Computer Science Laboratory, Inc.
    Takanawa Muse Bldg.
    3-14-13, Higashigotanda,
    Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo, 141 Japan
    Phone: +81-3-5448-4380
    E-mail: demizu@csl.sony.co.jp
    E-mail: nori-d@is.aist-nara.ac.jp

Appendix.1 Detailed survey of the function on BCE layer

[The story of survey]

    0.We assume that Yoke Link is pure broadcast network, that is, yoke
      link has bidirectional capability. But actually, it has just
      unidirectional capability, therefore we must realize it by using
      broadcast emulation(BCE).

    1.Therefore we indicate what is needed for realizing pure broadcast
      network at first.

    2.However, when we think about actual network topology, it is clear
      that BCE doesn't have to emulate all the functions of broadcast
      network because of some reasons. Therefore, we indicate what kind
      of functions aren't needed for BCE with some concrete reasons.

    3.Finally,we will indicate the conclusion and BCE function which
      must be implemented on feeds and receivers. At this point, we
      note that it must not have bad influence upon all networks if new
      routing protocol which isn't taken into account now will appear.

    (Terminology)
    Fdr:BCE requirement for BCE function of feed.
    Fdr:OTR requirement for other function of feed.
    Rcv:BCE requirement for BCE function of receiver.
    Rcv.OTR requirement for other function of receiver.

H.Izumiyama                                                     [Page 7]

Internet-Draft      An IP tunneling approach for UDLR      November 1997

                                %%% %%%

    1.Requirement for emulation of complete broadcast network

    1-1 Packets sent from a receiver must reach a feed.

    1-2 Packets sent from a receiver must reach a receiver.

    1-3 Packets sent from a feed must reach all receivers.

    1-4 Packets sent from a feed must reach all feeds.

    1-5 Packets sent from a receiver must reach receivers just once,
        that is, the duplicated same packets must not reach the same
        receivers.

    1-6 Packets sent from a feed must reach feeds just once, that
        is, the duplicated same packets must not reach the same feeds.

                                %%% %%%

    1-1 Packets sent from a receiver must reach a feed.

   (1)Fdr:BCE   All packets which come through receiver's tunnel are
                decapsulated. And they must be passed to IP layer if
                they are addressed to feed itself.

    (2)Rcv:BCE  Receiver creates tunnel to a feed, and sends packets
                via this tunnel.

    1-2 Packets sent from a receiver must reach a receiver.

    (1)Fdr:BCE  All packet which come through the receiver's tunnel are
                decapsulated and are sent to UDL. At this point, the
                content of IP datagram must not be changed.

    (2)Rcv:BCE  Packets which is received from UDL and is sent from
                receiver itself must be discarded. And other packets
                must be passed to IP layer.

    1-3 Packets sent from a feed must reach all receivers.

    (1)Fdr:BCE All packets passed from IP layer must be sent to UDL.

    1-4 Packets sent from a feed must reach all feeds.

    (1)Fdr:BCE Feed must create tunnels to all feeds and send to
               packets to all feeds.

    1-5 Packets sent from a receiver must reach receivers just once,
        that is, the duplicated same packets must not reach the same
        receivers.

     (1)Rcv:BCE Receiver must select only one feed which has the end

H.Izumiyama                                                     [Page 8]

Internet-Draft      An IP tunneling approach for UDLR      November 1997

                point of tunnel, and send to all packets. In addition,
                Packets which is received from UDL and is sent from
                receiver itself must be discarded.

     (2)Fdr:BCE All packets which come through the receiver's tunnel
                must be sent to all feeds via the feeds's tunnel.

    1-6 Packets sent from a feed must reach feeds just once, that
        is, the duplicated same packets must not reach the same
        feeds.

     (1)Fdr:BCE Packets which come through the feed's tunnel must not
        be forwarded.

                                %%% %%%

    2.When we think about actual network topology, it is clear that BCE
      doesn't have to emulate all the functions of broadcast network
      because of some reasons. Therefore, we indicate what kind of
      functions aren't needed for BCE with some concrete reasons.

      In a generic term for any unicast and multicast routing protocols
      used with no Uni-directional links,

      1. every Feed and Receiver can communicate with unicast packets
         via unicast routing path, and
      2. every Feed and Receiver can or cannot communicate with
         multicast packets via multicast routing path.

      When we consider the UDL's characteristics described in this
      document, we can propose that a yoke link should not be used in
      following states;

    2-1. A Receiver receives unicast IP datagrams towards a Feed.
    2-2. A Receiver receives unicast IP datagrams towards a Receiver.
    2-3. A Feed receives unicast IP datagrams towards a Feeder.

                                %%% %%%

    2-1. Refusing the traffic of unicast IP datagrams from a Receiver to
         a Feeder on a Yoke link

         When the Receiver receives a unicast IP datagram to
         the Feed, the Receiver tries to find the destination path in
         its routing table. In this situation, an unicast routing path
         from a receiver to a feed is ensured on BDL (i.e. without
         tunnel link and UDL), so BDL must be selected as a transmission
         path.

        (1). Rcv:OTR  Configuration of the network cost from a Receiver
                      to a Feed should be high to avoid to transit via
                      Yoke link.
        (2). Rcv:BCE  Only the unicast packet to its Yoke link subnet
                      can transit via tunnel. Others should be filtered

H.Izumiyama                                                     [Page 9]

Internet-Draft      An IP tunneling approach for UDLR      November 1997

                      out, and it must return the ICMP destination
                      unreachable (i.e. code=13).
    2-2. Refusing the traffic of unicast IP datagrams from a Receiver to
         a Receiver on a Yoke link
         When the Receiver receives a unicast IP datagram to
         the Receiver, the Receiver tries to find the destination path in
         its routing table. In this situation, an unicast routing path
         from a Receiver to a Receiver is ensured on BDL, so BDL must
         be selected as a transmission path.

        (1). Rcv:OTR  Configuration of the network cost from a Receiver
                      to a Receiver should be high to avoid to transit
                      via Yoke link.
        (2). Fdr:BCE  Some routing protocol messages come from
                      Receiver's tunnel should be filtered out not to
                      transit to another Receiver via UDL. This can not
                      only fulfill to avoid wasted data traffic but deny
                      routing flaps or unwilling routing
                      trees. (e.g. RIP1 announcement, RIP2 All Routers,
                      OSPF All Routers and OSPF DRs etc.)
        (3). Fdr:BCE  All packets come from a tunnel whose end point is
                      a Receiver are decapsulated. The IP headers of
                      these packets are checked, and if they are the
                      unicast packets and to a Yoke link, then sent to a
                      UDL. Others should be filtered out, and it must
                      return the ICMP destination unreachable
                      (i.e. code=13).
        (4). Rcv:BCE  same of 2-1(1).

    2-3. Refusing the traffic of unicast IP datagrams from a Feed to a
         Feed on a Yoke link
         When the Feed receives a unicast IP datagram to the
         Feed, the Feed tries to find the destination path in its
         routing table. In this situation, an unicast routing path from a
         Feed to a Feed is ensured on BDL, so BDL must be selected
         as a transmission path.

        (1). Fdr:OTR  Configuration of the network cost from a Feed to
                      a Feed should be high to avoid to transit via
                      Yoke link.
        (2). Fdr:BCE  All packets come from a tunnel whose end point is
                      a Feed are decapsulated. The IP headers of these
                      packets are checked, and if they are the unicast
                      packets and to a Yoke link, then sent to a
                      UDL. Others should be filtered out, and it must
                      return the ICMP destination unreachable
                      (i.e. code=13).
        (3). Fdr:BCE  Only the unicast packet to its Yoke link subnet
                      can transit via tunnel. Others should be filtered
                      out, and it must return the ICMP destination
                      unreachable (i.e. code=13).

    3.Finally,we will indicate the conclusion and BCE function which
      must be implemented on feeds and receivers. At this point, we

H.Izumiyama                                                    [Page 10]

Internet-Draft      An IP tunneling approach for UDLR      November 1997

      note that it must not have bad influence upon all networks if new
      routing protocol which isn't taken into account now will appear.

H.Izumiyama                                                    [Page 11]