Subject: Re: Address Resolution Protocol
Author:  IZUMIYAMA Hidetaka <izu@jcsat.co.jp> at Internet
Date:    7/28/97 6:02 PM

Emmanuel,

From: Emmanuel Duros <Emmanuel.Duros@sophia.inria.fr>

> I read your IDs, the first thing I am interesting in discussing is about
> MAC addresses and address resolution protocols.
> :
> The choice of using periodical announcements of MAC addresss (1) or "an
> on demand address resolution" (2) may lead to a different choice of
> tunneling mechanism.

> Indeed, if (1) is chosen an IP>IP encapsulation is sufficient, according
> to your mechanism MAC addresses are part of messages sent periodically
> with IP.

My "DTPC" is based on this idea.
I think it is similar to Jack Fijolek's idea of MCNS.

> If (2) is chosen we may have to use another type of encapsulation such
> as Generic Routing Encapsulation [rfc1701-1702] in order to encapsulate
> ARP responses in IP pakets. GRE allows the encapsulatation of IP, ARP
> and other various protocols over IP. In our case only IP and ARP are
> necessary.

Yes.

The reason why I chose (1) is that any IP tunneling appoarch
must get the IP address of the end point of tunnel(Feed and
Receivers) to make the tunnel.

To do this, if some protocol such as DTPC of my idea or DHCP extention
of Fijolek's idea may use, we can get MAC address of UDL interface in
this protocol.

Any comment or suggestion for this idea ?

-- izu --