Re: Revised terms

Folks who have no patience for terminological nit-picking should skip
this message now (assuming they haven't already filtered out this thread).

> BDL	Bidirectional link. A link layer where transitive communcation
> 	occurs.
>
> UDL	Unidirectional Link. A link layer where non-transitive communication
> 	occurs or BDL behaviour is not permitted.
>
> UDLN	Unidirectional Link Network. A network composed of or containing UDLs.

A link and a network are one and the same thing, in IP terminology (or at
least in IPv6 terminology, where we are trying to be a bit more rigorous).
So from that point of view, it doesn't make sense to define both a
UDL and a UDLN.  By defining those as separate terms, it sounds like
you are trying to label interior components of what IP sees as just a
"cloud".  Is that right?

> IT	Ingress tap. An ingress tap is an interface attached to a sending
> 	host or router which inserts packets into a UDL.
>
> ET	Egress tap. An egress tap is an interface attached to a host or
> 	router which receives packets from a UDL.

The trouble I have with "ingress" and "egress" is that I always forget
whether ingress means into the node or into the network (link).  That's
why I suggested the terms send-only and rcv-only which, at least to me,
don't suffer from that ambiguity.

Steve