Re: Terminology/intro draft

From: scottm@cs.ucla.edu
> As promised, here's the draft. I'm interested in comments (things I left
> out? Other UDLN examples other than satellites) and additional references.

Follows are my idea about UDLR terminology,

  UDL -
    Uni-directional link. Some kinds of cable net service and a satellite
    channel are the sample.

  BDL -
    Bi-directional link.

  Feed -
    A host or a router which sends packets to UDL.

  Receiver -
    A host or a router which receives packets from the UDL. It can not send
    packets to the UDL.

  VIF (Virtual Interface) -
    An interface which emulate a UDL as a BDL.

  NIF (Non-virtual Interface) -
    An interface which associate a physical interface. A serial interface
    and an ethernet interface are the sample of this.

  Forward-channel -
    A path from a Feed to a Receiver over an UDL.

  Back-channel -
    A path from a Receiver to a Feed. In this draft, this path consists
    of a tunnel over the Internet.

-- izu --