Re: second draft agenda

At 22:01 97/04/04 +0200, Walid Dabbous wrote:
>   b) the current proposed solutions ? (should we post them as I-Ds if there
>      is an agreed solution?)
>
>   b.1) VIPRE proposed I-D (on the tunneling approach) (from Aerospace)
>   b.2) an I-D on the protocols modification approach (from INRIA)
>        other?

I rewrote our approach as a I-D to say our approach more clearly.
I post it only to this mailing list.

izu / WIDE project

                %%%             %%%
Network Working Group                             Hidetaka Izumiyama
Internet-Draft                                        Akihiro Tosaka
                                                        WIDE project
                                                          April 1996

Uni-directional Link Routing with IP tunneling

<draft-ietf-wide-udlr-vif-00.txt>

Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft. Internet-Drafts are working
   documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas,
   and its working groups. Note that other groups may also distribute
   working documents as Internet-Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time. It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as ``work in progress.''

   To learn the current status of any Internet-Draft, please check the
   1id-abstracts.txt listing contained in the Internet-Drafts Shadow
   Directories on ftp.is.co.za (Africa), nic.nordu.net (Europe),
   munnari.oz.au (Pacific Rim), ds.internic.nTermet (US East Coast), or
   ftp.isi.edu (US West Coast).

Abstract

   This document defines the idea to use unidirectional link(UDL) routing
   without any modifications of current routing protocols.

Table of Contents

    1.Term
      Feed
      Receiver
      VIF

    2.Design of VIF

    3.Merits and demerits of this design
      3.1.Merits
      3.2.Demerits

    4.Architecture of VIF

    5.Behavior of VIF on Feed and Receiver
      5.1.On Feed
      5.2.On Receiver

    6.Tunnels

    7.Bibliography

1.Terms

  Feed -
    The host which send the packet to the uni-directional
    link (UDL).

  Receiver -
    The host which receive the packet from the UDL. He
    can not send packet to the UDL.

  VIF(Virtual Interface) -
    The interface which emulate a UDL as a BDL.

  NIF(Normal Interface) -
    The interface which is currently using Internet.
    It handles BDL.

2.Design of VIF

   Current routing protocols are designed
   on the premise that a host creates a bi-directional link(BDL)
   with a neighbor through one interface.

   The Feed and Receiver are connected by one
   uni-directional link(UDL)
   and one BDL link describe below,
   current routing protocols can use only one BDL link
   (if1). Even if Feed can send the packet though
   if0 , if0 never use.

                         UDL
	  ------->------------------>-------
          |                                |
	  |if0                             |if0
     +--------+                        +--------+
     |	Feed  |                        |Receiver|
     +----+---+                        +--------+
	  |if1                     	   |if1
	  |				   |
	  ===============BDL================

            Fig-1 physical connection

                         UDL
	  ------->------------------>-------

     +--------+                        +--------+
     |	Feed  |                        |Receiver|
     +----+---+                        +--------+
	  |if1                     	   |if1
	  |				   |
	  ===============BDL================

           Fig-2a logical connection for current routing protocols
                  (only use current technology)

   We design the virtual interface(VIF) to emulate a UDL
   as a BDL by using IP tunneling technology
   on another BDL link. The packet from Receiver to if0
   is encapsulated and send if1 to Feed. Feed receive
   the encapsulated packet from if1, the packet is decapsulated
   and go around if0 and receive as it come from if0.

   So,current routing protocols can use if0 and if1.

                         BDL
	  ==================================
          |                                |
	  |if0(VIF)                        |if0(VIF)
     +--------+                        +--------+
     |	Feed  |                        |Receiver|
     +----+---+                        +--------+
	  |if1                     	   |if1
	  |				   |
	  ===============BDL================

            Fig-2b logical connection for current routing protocols
                   (use VIF technology for if0)

3.Merits and demerits of this design

3.1.Merits
      -	It is not necessary to modify other stations because
	modifications are needed only at feeds and receivers.

      -	Current routing protocols may be used without any changes.

3.2.Demerits
      -	It is necessary to prepare another system
	for a feed and receivers
	to obtain the BDL network addresses of each other
	to initialize the tunneling path.

        To avoid this demerits,
        Dynamic Tunneling Path Configuration is necessary.
	This is discussed in another document.

      -	Overhead of tunneling Network

        If we can configure the cost of the tunneling link infinity,
        only the routing information from the receivers to the feed
	pass through the tunneling network with overhead.
	I think it is not so major disadvantage
	because the overhead is not so big(ex.20 byte per IP packet)
        and the routing traffic is smaller than the data traffic.

4.Architecture of VIF

  Once IP packet send to the VIF,
  if the host is Feed the IP packet directly send to the UDL,
  else (it means the host is Receiver) the IP packet
  is encapsulation and send another NIF and
  send to the BDL.

                                       IP over IP
                       |              encapsulation
-------------          V                +-------+
Network Layer         IP                |      IP
(IP Layer)             |                |       |
                       |                |       |
-------------          V                |       V
                      VIF               |      NIF
Datalink Layer    Feed| |Receiver       |       |
                      | +------->-------+       |
--------------        |                         |
                      V                         V
Physical Layer     UDL                          BDL
                  (ex. Satellite link)         (ex. Ethernet)

5.Behavior of VIF on Feed and Receiver

1.On Feed

(1)send IP packet to receiver

Network Layer         IP
(IP Layer)             |

-------------          V
                      VIF
Datalink Layer         |

--------------         |
Physical Layer     UDL                          BDL
                  (ex. Satellite link)         (ex. Ethernet)

                          In case of sending on Feed

(2)receive IP packet from receiver

                                         if encapsulated
                       ^                 IP packet
                       |                +-------+
Network Layer         IP                |       |
(IP Layer)             ^                |       |
                       |                |       |
-------------          +---------<------+       |
                      VIF                      NIF
Datalink Layer                                  |

--------------                                  |
                                                ^
Physical Layer     UDL                          BDL
                  (ex. Satellite link)         (ex. Ethernet)

                           In case of receiving on receiver

2.On Receiver

(1)send IP packet to feed

                                       IP over IP
                       |              encapsulation
-------------          V                +-------+
Network Layer         IP                |      IP
(IP Layer)             |                |       |
                       |                |       |
-------------          V                |       V
                      VIF               |      NIF
Datalink Layer         |                |       |
                       +------->--------+       |
--------------                                  |
Physical Layer     UDL                          BDL
                  (ex. Satellite link)         (ex. Ethernet)

                          In case of sending on Feed

(2)receive IP packet from feed

                       ^

Network Layer         IP
(IP Layer)             ^

-------------          |
                      VIF
Datalink Layer         |

--------------         |
                       ^
Physical Layer     UDL                          BDL
                  (ex. Satellite link)         (ex. Ethernet)

                           In case of receiving on receiver

6.Tunnels

  The IP encapsulation technique for tunnels
  is described in [1], RFC2003[2].

                                         +------------------+
                                         | Outer IP Header  |
  +------------------+                   +------------------+
  |    IP Header     |  encapsulation    |    IP Header     |
  +------------------+  ===============> +------------------+
  |    IP Payload    |                   |    IP Payload    |
  +------------------+                   +------------------+

  An outer IP header is added before the original IP header.
  The outer IP header source and destination identify the
  "endpoints" of tunnel, Feed and Receiver.

  In order to make the path from the receiver to the feed
  look as if they are directly connected by using tunneling,
  they both have to know their own BDL network address and
  UDL network address, along with their peer's BDL network
  address and UDL network address.
  A receiver or feed may obtain
  its own BDL network address and UDL network address
  because the administrator configures them,
  but another system is needed to obtain
  a peer's BDL network address and UDL network address.

  The current implementation employs static configuration,
  but dynamic configuration is possible
  by using the Dynamic Tunneling Path Configuration
  described in another document.

  When the feed and receiver obtain
  the other's BDL network address and UDL network address,
  they record the peer's (UDL network address, BDL network address)
  in the kernel
  and set up the UDL network interface.

  The following is an example.

               UDL(203.178.140.128/27)
	  ------->------------------>-------
          |                                |
	  |if0: 203.178.140.129            |if0: 203.178.140.130
     +--------+                        +--------+
     |	Feed  |                        |Receiver|
     +----+---+                        +--------+
	  |if1: 203.178.141.18             |if1: 203.178.141.196
	  |				   |
	  |            +--------+          |
	  =============| Router |===========
             BDL       +--------+    BDL
   (203.178.141.0/27)              (203.178.141.128/27)

           Fig.    network configuration of example network

  At the feed,
  the UDL network interface if0 is setup as:

         203.178.140.129 netmask 0xffffffe0

  the record as:

         src bdl address 203.178.141.18,
	  (dst udl addr 203.178.140.130, dst bdl addr 203.178.141.196)

  and the flag indicating the feed is turned on.
  The pairs of (dst UDL addr, dst BDL addr) are
  provided along the number of receivers.

  At the receiver, the UDL network interface if0 is also setup as:

         203.178.140.130 netmask 0xffffffe0

  the record as:

         src bdl address 203.178.141.196,
	  (dst udl addr 203.178.140.129, dst bdl addr 203.178.141.18)

and the flag indicating the feed is left alone.

7. Bibliography

[1]	Noritoshi Demizu and Suguru Yamaguchi,
	"DDT --- A Versatile Tunneling Technology",
	Proceedings of INET'94/JENC5, 1994

[2]	C. Perkins IBM,
        "IP Encapsulation within IP",
        REC2003, October 1996.