Dynamic tunneling, multicast and terms unification

Hello,

Some of those working on a solution based on tunneling have raised a
need for dynamic tunneling.  At the time being, this topic was under
consideration and further work was needed.  Has anyone made any progress
in the area ?  I would welcome any suggestion about that particular
point.

Another area I'm interesting in is multicast.  Could Yongguang Zhang
give any explanation about the term "multicast tunneling" that appear in
his web page (part "Asymmetric routing in the Internet")?

Yongguang Zhang wrote:

> Another issue, how should we unify the terms?  Feed and receiver?
> Uplink and downlink?  What is the best word to denote the host
> at the sender end of the UDL and what is the best to denote the
> other end?

I don't think we should have any reference in the terms used to the
particular case of satellite unidirectional links.  There are other
kinds of unidirectional links, among them cable unidirectional links
since some cable providers only have unidirectional media.  Some of them
are besides following our WG work on UDLR with interest.

Addressing this topic, I think Uplink/Downlink might bring a bit of
confusion.  People from cable surprisingly call "Downstream" the link
from the "server" to the "client", and "Upstream" the reverse one  that
might be over traditional phone.  I recommend prefixes Up/Down should be
avoided.

Thierry.