I don't have a gift for arts, but if you are looking for an
Artist, look at my father's Oil
I'm sure you already know my mascot Ounga
I am a senior researcher in the Diana project-team (previously called
Planète) at INRIA,
Sophia Antipolis, France.
Current Research Interests
- Internet architecture and protocols,
- Software Defined Networking and Network Function Virtualization,
- Challenged and Heterogeneous networks,
- Easy and realistic evaluation of network systems and architectures.
Our paper ``Automating ns-3 Experimentation in Multi-Host Scenarios'' got the Best Paper Award at last WNS3 workshop in May 2015.
- I am involved in the
- COMMUNITY joint team with UCSC on new architectures for heterogeneous networks prone to episodic connectivity,
- SIMULBED/DESIGNET joint team with NICT and Univ. of Tokyo on the design of an efficient experimentation platform
to evaluate new network architectures,
- DISCO ANR project on flexible and robust Software Defined Networking,
- REFLEXION ANR project on resilient and flexible infrastructure for open networking (NFV/SDN),
- NEPI project to help running network experiments on network evaluation platforms,
- DCE/ns-3 project aiming to improve realism of network simulation.
- Xuan-Nam Nguyen, on optimal rules placement in Software Defined Networking (co-supervised with Walid Dabbous).
- Hardik Soni, on Software Defined Networking in challenged environments (co-supervised with Walid Dabbous).
- Alina Quereilhac, on unified evaluation environment of networking protocols for simulators and testbeds (co-supervised with Walid Dabbous).
- Shafqat Ur Rehman,
(now Assistant Professor at Air University, Islamabad) on benchmarking
wireless experimentations (co-supervised with Walid Dabbous).
- Naveed Bin Rais,
(now Assistant Professor at Muhammad Ali Jinnah University, Islamabad) on
transmission mechanisms for networks with episodic connectivity
(co-supervised with Katia Obraczka).
Dujovne, (now Assistant Professor at Univ Diego Portales, Chile) on improving multicast transmission on WiFi networks and on the
evaluation of wireless transmission protocols (co-supervised with Walid Dabbous).
Ali Kaafar (now Research Leader at NICTA) ,
who worked on securing Internet coordinate systems (co-supervised with Walid Dabbous).
Manshaei (now Assistant Professor in the
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
at the Isfahan University of Technology), who worked on adaptive and cross-layer transmission
protocols for WLANs.
Arya (now researcher at IBM Research India), who worked on multicast-based inference of network tomography
and multicast traffic engineering for overlay networks.
- Emmanuel Lety (now at UDCAST) who worked
a scalable communication architecture for Large-Scale Virtual
- Member of the Editorial Boards of:
- Technical Program Committee member of:
- 13th ACM International Symposium on Mobility Management and Wireless Access (MOBIWAC), Cancun, Mexico, November 2015.
- 10th ACM Mobicom Workshop on Challenged Networks at Paris, France, September 11, 2015.
- 11th ACM SIGCOMM Asian Internet Engineering Conference (AINTEC), Bangkok, Thailand, November 2015.
- 21th Packet Video Workshop, Sydney, Australia, USA, June 4-5, 2015.
- 6th Workshop on ns-3 at Barcelona, Spain, May 13, 2015.
- 1st ACM Workshop on Wireless and Mobile Technologies for Smart Cities (WiMobCity) at MobiHoc, Philadelphia, PA, USA, Aug 11-14, 2014.
- 2nd Workshop on Emulation Tools, Methodology and Techniques at SIMUTools, Lisbon, Portugal - Mar 17-19, 2014.
- 5th Workshop on ns-3 at Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, GA, May 7, 2014.
- 5th ICCE, Special Session on Software Defined Networking, Dan Nang, Vietnam, Jul 30-Aug 1, 2014.
- 20th Packet Video Workshop, San Jose, CA, USA, December 12-13, 2013.
- 5th ACM Workshop on Mobile Video (MoVid), Oslo, Norway, Feb 27, 2013.
- 19th Packet Video Workshop, Munich, Germany, May 10-11, 2012.
- 4th ACM International workshop on Mobile Video Delivery (Movid), Chapel Hill, North Carolina, February 2012.
- 18th Packet Video Workshop, Hong-Kong, 13-14 December, 2010.
- 1st International Conference on Wireless and Ubiquitous Systems (ICWUS)’10, Sousse, Tunisia, October 2010.
- 3rd ACM International workshop on Mobile Video Delivery (Movid), Firenze, Italy, October 2010.
- 2nd International workshop on Mobile Video Delivery (Movid), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, April 2009.
- 17th Packet Video Workshop, Seattle, WA, 11-12 May, 2009.
International Workshop on Performance Analysis and Enhancement of Wireless
Networks (PAEWN’08), Okinawa, Japan, 25-28 March, 2008.
- 18th IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC'07), Athens, Greece, 3-7 September, 2007.
- 16th Packet Video Workshop
(PV'07), Lausanne, Switzerland, Nov 12-13 2007.
- 8th IEEE WOMMoM'07
Symposium, Helsinki, Finland, June 18-21, 2007.
- 2nd International Workshop
on Wireless Network Measurement
(WinMee'05), Boston, MA, April 3, 2006.
- 15th Packet Video
Workshop, Hanghzou, China, April 20-21, 2006.
International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia
Networks, Niagara-Falls,Buffalo-NY, 26-29 June 2006.
- WiOpt 2005 Symposium
Riva Del Garda, Italy on April 4-6, 2005.
Conference on Wired/Wireless Internet Communications (WWIC 2005),
May 2-4 Xanthi, Greece.
International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia
Networks (WoWMoM 2005), Taormina, Italy, June 14-16, 2005.
- 1st International
on Broadband Wireless Multimedia (BroadWiM), San José,
Internet and Next Generation Networks Symposium 2004 at IEEE
GLOBECOM, Dallas, USA, 2004.
WiOpt workshop , University of Cambridge, UK, 2004.
- 14th Packet
Workshop, University of California, Irvine, USA, 2004.
WiOpt workshop, Sophia Antipolis, FRANCE, 2003.
Workshop, Nantes, FRANCE, 2003.
- 12th Packet Video
Workshop, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, 2002.
International Workshop on
Networked Group Communication, Boston, MA, USA, 2002.
- 11th Packet Video
Workshop, Kyongju, Korea, 2001.
- 10th Packet
Workshop, Cagliari, Italy, 2000.
Workshop, New York, USA, 1999.
- Co-Chair of the 1st Workshop on Software-Defined Internets of the future (WSDIF'14),Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on October 28 - 30, 2014.
- Publicity Chair of the
11th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor
Systems (MASS), Philadelphia, October 2014.
- Publicity Chair of the WiOpt 2005
Symposium, Riva del Garda,
Trentino, Italy, 2005.
- Doctoral Symposium Chair of ACM
Multimedia 2002, Juan les Pins,
- Co-Editor of two special issues on Software radio in IEEE JSAC
April 1999 and IEEE Communication Magazine February 1999.
- Past projects include:
- Multi Service Access
Everywhere (MUSE) IST Project,
sur IP sans fils (VIP) RNRT Project,
and VTHD++ RNRT Projects
- ONELAB IST FP6 project concerning the
implementation of an open platform across heterogeneous environments
(based on PlanetLab),
- ExpeShare ITEA2 project on file sharing in wireless in wireless ad hoc networks,
- DIVINE RNRT
project on video transmission over various wireless
- GENESIM joint team on the elaboration of a Global Environment for wireless Networking
Experiments and SIMulations,
- ROSEATE STIC AmSud project on Realistic Models, Simulations and Experimentation of wireless protocols,
- WELCOME ``Wireless experimental realistic measurement'' STIC AmSud project,
- OneLab2 FP7 European project on Wireless Experimentation and Benchmarking,
- CONNECT ANR project on content-oriented networking,
- EIT ICT KIC SDN on LTE integration in Software-Defined Networking.
- I have been a postdoctoral associate in the Telemedia,
Networks and Systems Group at the MIT
Laboratory for Computer Science between September'95 and
In this group, I have been working in the SpectrumWare
project headed by David
Tennenhouse. I have designed and implemented in software part of a
GSM base station which has been integrated into the VuSystem.
- I have done my PhD studies in the High-Speed Networking
My previous research (done in particular with Jean
Bolot and Christian
Huitema) were focused on designing, implementing, and evaluating
applications over the Internet. Specifically, I have developed IVS,
one of the first videoconferencing application for the Internet. This
videoconferencing system allows multicast delivery of audio and video
the Internet. I also developed specific error control and rate control
mechanisms for transmission of video streams. These mechanisms regulate
the output rate of the codecs based on feedback information about the
state. They have been designed specifically to work in a multicast
How to reach me
Last modified: Fri May 22 08:54:39 MET 2015
- Organization: INRIA
- Research Unit: Sophia
- Project: DIANA
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Phone: +33 4 92 387 879 .... But you'd better use email instead!
- Fax: +33 4 92 387 978
- Mail: INRIA, 2004 route des Lucioles, B.P. 93, 06902