I am a PhD candidate under the supervision of Arnaud Legout and Walid Dabbous in the DIANA (fka Planète) project team at INRIA Sophia-Antipolis. I joined INRIA in September 2009 and I am planning to finish by December 2013. Prior to joining INRIA, I was an M.S. (R) student in the School of Information Technology at the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi.
Research InterestsCommunication networks, mobile systems, social networks, large scale experiments, peer-to-peer systems, wireless networks, performance modeling and evaluation.
I am currently in the job market. (CV, Thesis Summary)
- Meddle: Improving transparency and control in mobile networks. Meddle is currently deployed in USA, France, and China and is serving more than 100 users.
- Network characteristics of video streaming traffic
Manuscripts under review
- MobiScope: Pervasive Internet Traffic Monitoring for Mobile Devices. Submitted to ACM CoNEXT 2013
Ashwin Rao, Amy Tang, Shen Wang, Nick Martindell, Justine Sherry, Walid Dabbous, Arvind Krishnamurthy, Arnaud Legout, and David Choffnes.
Peer-reviewed Conference Publications
- Data Plane Throughput vs Control Plane Delay: Experimental Study of BitTorrent Performance. To appear as a short paper in Proc. of IEEE P2P'13 (acceptance ratio (19+10)/94)
Claudio Testa, Darrio Rossi, Ashwin Rao, and Arnaud Legout.
- Network Characteristics of Video Streaming Traffic. In Proc. of ACM CoNEXT 2011, Tokyo, Japan (acceptance ratio 30/159) (slides).
Ashwin Rao, Yeon-sup Lim, Chadi Barakat, Arnaud Legout, Don Towsley, and Walid Dabbous.
Our video streaming dataset is publicly available. This work was also presented at the following venues.
- A Survey on YouTube Streaming Service. In Proc. of ValueTools 2011.
Majed Haddad, Eitan Altman, Rachid El-Azouzi, Tania Jimenez, Salah Eddine Elayoubi, Sana Ben Jamaa, Arnaud Legout, and Ashwin Rao .
- Can Realistic BitTorrent Experiments be Performed on Clusters? In Proc. of IEEE P2P'10 (acceptance ratio 27/121 for full papers) (Slides).
Ashwin Rao, Arnaud Legout, and Walid Dabbous.
- Performance Evaluation of 802.11 Broadcasts for A Single Cell Network with Unsaturated Nodes. In Proc. of IFIP Networking 2008 (acceptance ratio 26.9%).
Ashwin Rao, Arzad Kherani, and Anirban Mahanti.
Peer-reviewed Journal Publications
- Performance of Node Eviction Schemes in Vehicular Networks. In Proc. of IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 59(2), pp. 550-558.
Arzad Kherani, and Ashwin Rao.
Peer-reviewed Workshop Publications
- Meddle: Middleboxes for Increased Transparency and Control of Mobile Traffic. Selected as one of the best posters in ACM CoNEXT 2012 Student Workshop (acceptance ratio 32/62).
Ashwin Rao, Justine Sherry, Arnaud Legout, Arvind Krishnamurthy, Walid Dabbous, and David Choffnes.
This work was also presented in the Community Feedback session at IMC 2012.
- Experimental Assessment of BitTorrent Completion Time in Heterogeneous TCP/uTP swarms. In Traffic Monitoring and Analysis (TMA) 2012. (acceptance ratio 10/30).
Claudio Testa, Dario Rossi, Ashwin Rao, and Arnaud Legout.
- Secure V2V Communications: Performance Impact of Computational Overheads. In Proc. of IEEE Infocom 2008 workshop on Mobile Networking for Vehicular Environments.
Aravind Iyer, Arzad Kherani, Ashwin Rao, and Aditya Karnik.
- Secure V2V Communication with Certificate Revocation. In Proc. of IEEE Infocom 2007 workshop on Mobile Networking for Vehicular Environments
Ashwin Rao, Ashish Sangwan, Arzad Kherani, Anitha Varghese, Bhargav Bellur, and Rajeev Shorey.
Other Events and Technical Reports
- Floor the Ceil & Ceil the Floor: Revisiting AIMD Evaluation. INRIA Technical Report (hal-00733890), 2012.
Ashwin Rao , Arnaud Legout, Bruno Cessac, and Walid Dabbous.
- BitTorrent Experiments on Testbeds: A Study of the Impact of Network Latencies. In 11es Journées Doctorales en Informatique et Réseaux. Slides. Poster at Rescom 2010.
Ashwin Rao, Arnaud Legout, and Walid Dabbous.
- M.S. (2009), Information Technology, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi
- B.E. (2004), Computer Science and Engineering, Pune Institute of Computer Technology affliated to the Pune University
Overview of M.S. Thesis
|Title||Performance Evaluation of Secure Communication in Vehicular Networks.|
|Advisors||Arzad Kherani and Anirban Mahanti|
|Summary||Vehicular communication systems enable vehicles to communicate with each other for increasing passenger safety. The critical nature of the messages exchanged motivates the need for securing these messages. This work was aimed at evaluating the impact of intermittent connectivity between the vehicles and the security infrastructure on the performance of the proposed Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) based security mechanisms. Further, the impact of the computational and bandwidth overheads of security on the performance of communication were studied.|
Other ActivitiesExternal Reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Multimedia (2013), IEEE Network (2013), Computer Networks, IEEE TMA Workshop (2013), HotPOST 2012, IEEE JSAC Special Issue on Vehicular Networks 2007.
|Splashgain Technology Solutions Pvt. Ltd. Pune|
|Technical Consultant||(May, 2009 - July, 2009)|
|Axonize Inc. Pune. (defunct)|
|Manager of Engineering||(Aug, 2008 - April, 2009)|
|General Motors India Science Lab, Bangalore|
|Student Intern||(Jan, 2008 - April, 2008 and May 2007 - July 2007)|
|AirTight Networks Pvt. Ltd. Pune.|
|Member of Technical Staff||(July, 2004 - July, 2006)|