Re: VTP path questions

Thanks a lot for the code and the detailed explanations. I always have
the big problem to find the place in the CENTAUR manual that
corresponds to what I'm looking for (the core part is much too
dispatched, after my opinion, or there should be at least a global
function and variable index)

I tested most of your functions and they are quit perfect for my
needs.

Now here are yet some other questions concerning paths:

 1. Why are there so many different kinds of paths?  Especially I
    couldnt figure out what "started paths" are usful for.

    What I would rather expect is one sort of path whith different
    operations to work on, but not a dozen kinds of paths each of it
    with its own particuler functions. Is it because typing wasn't
    done in the  VTP's original implementation?

 2. Can I transform one path type into an other one, e.g., to make
    changes on a tree denoted by a selection path, or should I better
    leave this job to higher-level functions, such as
    {variable}:change, {variable}:delete and so?

    The problem is even more general: I have a lot of trouble to
    distinguish in the doc `VTP internal' functions from `programmer
    level' functions. I guess that most of the functions of the
    {variable} and {tree} packages belong to the second category, but
    I'm seriously troubled for the rest.  Some general advice would be
    very helpful here.

Thanks in advance

		Guido